Sandrine Pantel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:27
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Apr 13, 2016

Hello,

I work as an independent translator since late 2013 (EN>FR and DE>FR) and I have the greatest difficulty to find translation agencies willing to pay at least 0.10€/source word (which I find reasonable for someone with 5 years of studies, professional experience since 2009, 4 years working experience in Germany, 2 years experience as a translator and many references).

If someone is ready to communicate me, via private message, a short list of German, Swiss, Austrian and British agencies paying at least the price mentionned above and with reasonable terms of payment, I thank him/her a lot in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

The Misha
Local time: 01:27
Russian to English
+ ...
You don't need a "short list of agencies". You need a mindset change. Apr 13, 2016

Sandrine Pantel wrote:

which I find reasonable for someone with 5 years of studies, professional experience since 2009, 4 years working experience in Germany, 2 years experience as a translator and many references).

Guess what all of this entitles you to: nothing. It is very much like the owner of the corner bodega saying that since he went into all that trouble and expense of opening the said bodega, he should now be entitled to selling a certain number of gallon jugs of milk a day, and could someone please give him a list of "good" customers willing to pay, say, $5 per jug (he "finds it reasonable") rather than $2.50 that the nearest superstore has it at. It just doesn't work this way. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be. Or you could go work for someone instead, as an employee. Unfortunately, there is no middle ground here.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I think that's possibly a little optimistic... Apr 13, 2016

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think people will want to share lists of customers. That said, plenty of agencies are willing to pay more than EUR 0.10. Don't be discouraged if a few people tell you that you're too expensive. Good luck!

France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agencies that pay reasonably well: impossible to find (for me)! Apr 13, 2016

The Misha wrote:

Sandrine Pantel wrote:

which I find reasonable for someone with 5 years of studies, professional experience since 2009, 4 years working experience in Germany, 2 years experience as a translator and many references).

Guess what all of this entitles you to: nothing.

So I'm supposed to accept low prices until the end of my career, despite the experience I gather over the years? I don't think so...

Many other translators tell me that there are many agencies out there that pay well over 0.10€ (which, again, I find reasonable), and I'm just desperate to find (finally!) an agency that does. Most agencies I contact don't accept to go over 0.09€, or they tell me "Ok, we enter 0.10€ in your profile but we won't be able to offer you much projects".
So, how to find an agency that pays well, that's really a mystery to me...
(And I search quite a lot and in many different countries, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, etc.)!

France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's fine Apr 13, 2016

But that's fine if no one gives me a little list or a way to find good customers, I get that
That's just a desperate call from me (after having been, again, proposed a very low price by an agency today, really not motivating...)

Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Agencies with reasonable prices Apr 13, 2016

Building a "book" takes time and patience. Accept the lower rates for the time being and look for new clients. You might have better luck if you stopped focusing on agencies and went straight to end-clients. "Tout vient a lui qui sait attendre".

Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:27
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Higher rates Apr 13, 2016

Hi Sandrine,

I cannot give you names but here's what I noticed when I checked your profile: Perhaps you are sending mixed signals there.

You have good credentials and a reasonable amount of experience. Still, your price for direct clients (including outside proofreading) is between EUR 0.09 and 0.11 per word. While you are not saying so, you quote only one price for both client groups. That price is way too low for direct clients and, in the eyes of agencies, you look like someone who can be hired for a rather modest price. Usually, proofreading is about one third of the price for translation. Plus, when working with direct clients, you will/might have to manage the project. That time has to be paid as well as does the liability insurance, etc. All that for EUR 0.11/W?

Finally, advertising that you are available on short notice and on weekends could be interpreted to mean that your schedule is fairly free.

Good luck and don't sell yourself short!
Inge

France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 13, 2016

Thank you for your sensible remarks, Inge, I will have a look at my prices on Proz

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not about any specific agencies, it's about yourself Apr 13, 2016

If an agency pays €X to your colleague in one of your language pairs, it does not necessarily mean you will get the same rate. Yours may be the same, higher, or lower, depending on your professional level (and bargaining skills, too). To illustrate, there is a huge agency with offices in several countries that gets its share of negative publicity here on ProZ for paying relatively low rates and sometimes even docking translators' fees for various reasons. This agency is my biggest client, they pay me 1.5 to 2 times as much as they pay most of their translators, and I have never had any issues with them.

If you know your translations are really worth more than the agencies are offering you, just explain to them why you are better than others and be ready to prove it with test translations, past work samples and client references. Keep in mind, however, that overall translation experience is only of secondary importance - what's a lot more important is your experience and skill in a specific subject field. But don't be afraid to stand your ground if you know you are good!

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
My few cents Apr 13, 2016

Well, maybe you should go for more direct customers...

I also doubt that someone will be willing to share his/her list of well paying customers with you and think you might have to change your attitude, a mindset change as said The Misha.

In my eyes you'd also have to redo the German version of your homepage. It seems to me though I already told you that about a year ago. It contains faults, the style is not clear, a lot of complicated blabla in my eyes.

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
Your CV Apr 13, 2016

I also think you'll absolutely have to rework your CV.

The impression it gives to me is: A young translator with very few experience who is not able to distinguish what it is important or not. There are quite a lot of informations which are not at all interesting for an agency...

And never put a comma before usw. in German...

The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
I am afraid you are totally missing my point Apr 14, 2016

Sandrine Pantel wrote:

So I'm supposed to accept low prices until the end of my career, despite the experience I gather over the years? I don't think so...

No, what you are supposed to do is prove to your client, regardless of whether it's a direct client or an agency, that your services are indeed worth the price you are charging - i.e., prove that they create value. This is called business development, and it takes one hell of a lot of time, patience and effort. Unfortunately, it is the only way to succeed in this business, or any other one for that matter. You cannot have it handed down to you.

On a totally unrelated note, as much as I enjoyed the picture in your profile, I am afraid it is actually doing you a disservice. It only reinforces the impression Andrea said she had - that of a "young translator with very few experience who is not able to distinguish what is important or not." Were I looking for a French subcontractor in my area of specialization (legal and finance), this picture would only add to the generally uninspiring feel I got from your flabby sales pitch.

I am not just snickering here or trying to put you down for no good reason. It actually hurts me to see you inflicting so much damage on yourself - and that's even before the question of your translation abilities comes into play. I'd be happy to help you rephrase the English version of your pitch to make it more to the point and effective. Unfortunately, that's the only kind of help I could offer. No one can develop your business for you, except you.

Good luck to you.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 00:13 GMT]

jackiekiefer
German to English
+ ...
€0,10 is the absolute minimum Apr 14, 2016

Unless you earn at least €0,10 a word there's no point even working as a freelance translator - at least in Europe. You're better off doing something else.

France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Puzzled Apr 14, 2016

I would be really interested to know what's so wrong about my Proz profile, my CV and my website (wow, it seems I got it all wrong, here!)

@Andrea: the German version of my website had been checked by a German professional translator, so I trusted everything was ok with it in terms of errors...

And yes, I mention that I am available for translation projects on Saturdays, simply because it is true. My companion runs a shop in the city centre that's open on Saturdays, so I am available on Saturdays (but then, often not on Mondays). And I don't see the problem with that, since it seems to me that it is very common in our profession to work also on the weekends.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I guess I will have to work a lot on my bargaining skills

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Not that widespread Apr 14, 2016

Sandrine Pantel wrote:
Many other translators tell me that there are many agencies out there that pay well over 0.10€ (which, again, I find reasonable), and I'm just desperate to find (finally!) an agency that does. Most agencies I contact don't accept to go over 0.09€...

From my experience in EN>FR, it's not that easy to find agencies who accept to be charged €0.10 and more. It requires patience and effort.

At €0.08 or €0.09, I assume you can easily find agencies willing to work at that rate with you.
A strategy:
-You work at that rate, maybe in exchange for 30-day max. payment terms.
-monitor your average earnings per hour/day to ensure you're not a slave
-get a returning core of a few agencies that make you work fullish time, and look after them with the utmost care
-carry on passive/opportunistic marketing activities advertising you target rate
-reach the status of "preferred" translator in specific fields or for specific customers in the agency
-make yourself the person to refer to in case of trouble because you've proven how efficient, fair, honest, dedicated and quality-focused you are. Your hourly rate must be a satisfactory (target) rate.
-start to get response from your marketing because you've gained confidence and focus
-get overworked at your old rate
-start working at your new rate until you reach a decent amount/month (eg covering your expenses and vital needs)
-increase your rate with your incumbent core of agency customers
-dump agency customers who haven't realised the added value you bring the agency
-reorganise you core of agency customers

This process can take a few years. And it's cycling.

DE>FR (usually priced in characters, source words don't have a lot of sense with terms like Abgefahrkühnzichkeitabteilwaldraumwagen) seems to be more lucrative per hour, but likely only because less FR people "speak" German than English.

what's so wrong

The second word in your proz introduction. I stopped reading there.

Philippe

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies with reasonables prices

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search