Thread poster: MarcoGabrieli

MarcoGabrieli
Italy
Local time: 20:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 15, 2016

Hi translators,

I am new to this interesting website. I want to ask the all of you some questions about the factors you usually consider so as to estabish and propose a challenging price of a translation to the client. Everyone (perhaps) knows that there are different ways to give a price, depending on the type of the text to be translated, its technical difficulty, the client, the delivery time and so on.

1) Any other factors to take into account to etablish the price?

2) Do you normally translate per word, per unit (cartella), per line?

3) for example, I have been giving a 2 page-long document recently and I have established this price:

2 pages
522 words
3801 characters (spaces included)
9 paragraphs
60 lines

Number of cartelle: 2,5 (number of characters including the spaces ÷ 1500)

The price per cartella = 20 Euros

The final price of the translation: 50 Euros

Do you agree?

Thanks

Marco Gabrieli

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How long will it take you? Apr 18, 2016

MarcoGabrieli wrote:
I have been giving a 2 page-long document recently and I have established this price:

50 Euros

Your profile says that your desired rate per hour is EUR 70. So, if you can do this translation in 45 minutes, it's worth your while. If it takes longer, then you've quoted too low.

I don't think it matters a jot how you quote. I've never used pages as it isn't common in my pair, although I believe it is in Italian. Personally, I'd happily quote per occurrence of the letter "e" if I knew of a rate per "e" that would be fair to both the client and myself. What's important is how much you quote - but I'm sure you know thaticon_smile.gif.

There are only so many hours a day that we can make ourselves available for work, so the rate per hour has to be the bottom line. And bear in mind that we cannot work on our translations eight hours (or more) per day. We have other jobs on a daily basis, such as marketing, bookkeeping and administrative tasks, etc. Then there's professional training, which may be occasional but can take a considerable amount of time over a year. Then there are unavoidable downtimes such as equipment failures, sickness and family/personal matters to attend to. And it would be nice to have coffee and pee breaks during the day, the odd meal break or two and even holidays. Our clients have to pay for all that time, plus the costs of training, equipment, ProZ.com memberships etc., and a lot more that I haven't mentioned.

Francisco Vare
Poland
Local time: 20:05
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
After having taken into account... Apr 18, 2016

all the things Sheila has mentioned, and even including the things she hasn't, 0.50€ per word, or 70 per hour seems, at least for me, abusive. Hell, I don't even get half an euro per word even when translating legal documents, and I have been working as a translator for almost a decade and a half!

If you think you are worth it, as Sheila says, then quote 50€, but I so doubt you will get them. It all depends on the kind of text, but for a regular translation, I wouldn't ask for more than 30-35€.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 13:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Establish a price for a translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search