Debt collection in Beijing, China
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:45
English to Thai
+ ...
May 2, 2016

I did Proz.com search and find no recent forum discussions. I hereby request for any advices.

I have rather small non-paying agency debts where I use a number of methods to collect. There are suggestions to use the embassy, Internet service providers, local police, courts, debt collecting agencies, Alibaba etc.
Could anyone show me a practical and feasible method for Beijing, China. The debts were about English - Thai translation of a big European firm with subsidiaries in Th
... See more
I did Proz.com search and find no recent forum discussions. I hereby request for any advices.

I have rather small non-paying agency debts where I use a number of methods to collect. There are suggestions to use the embassy, Internet service providers, local police, courts, debt collecting agencies, Alibaba etc.
Could anyone show me a practical and feasible method for Beijing, China. The debts were about English - Thai translation of a big European firm with subsidiaries in Thailand, my country.

The debtor [presumed as an European working in China] uses a number of methods to avoid payment e.g. ignoring of my inquiries, twisting away from payment, raising about translation satisfaction with subjective and non-objective judgment, use of poor English communication, hiding identity of firm and contact person.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What do you know about the agency? May 2, 2016

Obviously I'm not asking for the information, as we can't identify clients here. But when you say your contact is hiding the firm it makes me wonder if you have all the information you need on them. Could it be a total scam and the agency doesn't even exist? The first thing to do is to research the agency. Maybe a Chinese translator would do that? I'm assuming you don't speak or read the local language. You at least need to know the financial status of the agency as there's no point wasting time... See more
Obviously I'm not asking for the information, as we can't identify clients here. But when you say your contact is hiding the firm it makes me wonder if you have all the information you need on them. Could it be a total scam and the agency doesn't even exist? The first thing to do is to research the agency. Maybe a Chinese translator would do that? I'm assuming you don't speak or read the local language. You at least need to know the financial status of the agency as there's no point wasting time or money chasing payment from a bankrupt one.

I would advise you to try any and all of those routes you mention, starting with the free, or cheap, ones. The courts may be too expensive if you're owed only a relatively small sum but a letter from a local lawyer might be productive and not too expensive. I'd say that if a final demand sent as a registered letter, a lawyer's letter, entries on the BB and elsewhere and so on don't have any effect, a debt recovery company would be the way to go. They would take a slice of your money but 70% or so is better than nothing.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:45
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agency identity: Could a Chinese translator help me? May 2, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I would advise you to try any and all of those routes you mention, starting with the free, or cheap, ones. The courts may be too expensive if you're owed only a relatively small sum but a letter from a local lawyer might be productive and not too expensive. I'd say that if a final demand sent as a registered letter, a lawyer's letter, entries on the BB and elsewhere and so on don't have any effect, a debt recovery company would be the way to go. They would take a slice of your money but 70% or so is better than nothing.

I totally agree with, and continue with your suggestions except entries on the BB. I posted some where that BB entry was not successful since I do not have the agency's valid website and Proz.com staff just replied for me to enter the non-existing website.

Regarding identity of the agency, I normally read some simplified Chinese sentences and searched the Internet without hits. This is why I would like to hire a Beijing Chinese translator to identify the address, the exact location, the commercial registration details and the contact staff in question's identity.

I have used Internet whois, geolocation identifier, email header etc. to identify the agency to some extents but they are in sufficient for credit checking.

But I wonder will a well-known multinational firm in Europe ever hire a to-be-bankrupted translation agency for its big volume job?

Could a Chinese translator contact me through private message to discuss further details?

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection in Beijing, China

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »