Thread poster: Alberto Belotti

Alberto Belotti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:31
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 9, 2016

Hi, has anyone already worked with Swiss translation agencies?
I would like to know what the payment conditions between agency and freelance translators are in Switzerland.
Thank you and kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 21:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Payment conditions? May 9, 2016

Could you please explain what do you mean by payment conditions between agency and freelance translators? I have worked occasionally with one Swiss translation agency, but as a service provider, I am the one setting my own payment terms and my rates remain the same regardless the client’s country.

[Edited at 2016-05-09 14:58 GMT]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
My experience May 9, 2016

I have worked with a few Swiss agencies and don't recall any difficulties about payment. They accepted my terms and paid at 30 days net, I think. I'm in the UK.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Nothing specific May 9, 2016

What others have said applies to me, too. My payment terms are my terms for the entire world. I might accept the equivalent of the EUR amount in GBP or USD from clients in those areas, and I might accept payment by PayPal for those who have definite problems using my preferred method of wire transfer, but that's my decision, and I always expect to be paid 30 days month end at the latest. My two current Swiss clients are direct ones (an NGO and a magazine) but I have worked with Swiss agencies in the past with no problems.

However, I do have one current payment problem that isn't client-specific. I don't know if it only applies to my bank or if it's some sort of general policy, so I'll mention it here just in case. In February, Banco Sabadell started to charge commission of 0.35%, with a minimum fee of €18, on all wire transfers from Switzerland, the Channel Islands, Monaco and maybe a few other places - they haven't come up with a proper list. That makes doing business with Switzerland virtually impossible if I'm restricted to wire transfer. And for me personally that's only the tip of the iceberg as much of our other income comes into an account in Jersey. I haven't managed to get any sort of explanation from the bank at all so I'll be calling on the Ombudsman soon. But as I say, it might just be something my bank has dreamt up.

Italy
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 9, 2016

Thank you very much for your replies. You have all been very helpful.

Have a nice evening!

Alberto

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Swiss clients May 10, 2016

I have found my Swiss direct clients to be the most reliable of all. Firstly, I generally require immediate payment of invoices submitted. Terms are established before the work is started and I provide a quote or an estimate which the client approves so we all know where we stand. What in my experience is standard practice in Switzerland is gold practice in France. I have even had Swiss clients transfer money to my account in France the same day, when an invoice sent the morning was actually dealt with immediately and the funds credited in the afternoon of the same day. It is generally a matter of 2-5 days.

With Swiss agencies, I have generally been paid around 10-15 days, and only very exceptionally at 30 days. Again, compared to France, this is impressive.

Payment is by bank transfer, in euros, and Switzerland is a SEPA country.

http://www.sepa.ch/fr/home.html

Italy
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 10, 2016

Thank you very much! You have been very helpful.
Have a nice evening!
Alberto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment conditions agency-translators in Switzerland

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search