https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/30185-can_one_purchase_sell_used_software_like_trados_for_example.html

Can one purchase/sell used Software, like Trados for example?
Thread poster: eurodep
eurodep
eurodep
Local time: 22:44
English
Mar 7, 2005

Question: Can a person/company buy or sell used software. If I have an extra Trados 6.5, can I sell it to an individual or business? And likewise, if I want Trados 6.5, can I buy it from a private seller?

I don't know the law here, but it seems like it would be ok. Does anyone have any info?

If it is ok to buy/sell/trade used software, where can I do it? - Thanks

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:44
German to English
+ ...
Can one purchase/sell used Software, like Trados for example? Mar 7, 2005

ddepman wrote:

don't know the law here, but it seems like it would be ok. Does anyone have any info?

If it's not pirated or otherwise stolen, why not?[/quote]

If it is ok to buy/sell/trade used software, where can I do it?

Here on Proz.com (but to my knowledge, only for Platinum members): community > exchange > tms

Marc

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No dates on Proz exchange Mar 7, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:

Here on Proz.com (but to my knowledge, only for Platinum members): community > exchange > tms

Marc

The only problem with Proz.com exchange pages is the absence of dates when the actual offers were posted. You might see an offer you are interested in but it might be there for several months already and the goods are long since gone.

Burrell

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
French to English
Beware of Scam Mar 7, 2005

There's currently a scam going around where someone offers in an e-mail message to a mailing list to sell their translation related software because they've got a better paying job in a different industry. The unsuspecting victim pays money, but doesn't get working software.

Caveat emptor.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
I guess its the issue of reselling the licence? Mar 7, 2005

I don't know - I have wondered about that myself, as what you are buying is actually a licence to use it.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
This might be useful Mar 7, 2005

This link applies to Australia, but it shows examples of what you are looking for in the EULA (licensing agreement) to know whether or not you are allowed to re-sell the software. It seems to be a case-by-case basis, i.e. different manufacturers have different policies here:

http://www.bsaa.com.au/S_563.html

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 16:44
English to German
+ ...
I contacted Trados Mar 7, 2005

Hello

I was not very lucky trying to sell my Trados Version of 6.5. I contacted the nearest Trados office and they told me that this would not be a problem. Once I would find a buyer they would do the transmitting of the software.
So basically you have to try to sell your licence key give Trados the new contact information and this is it. Yahoo was the best experience, as I received all kinds of pleasure items (-;

I posted my request on ProZ.com but it got reject
... See more
Hello

I was not very lucky trying to sell my Trados Version of 6.5. I contacted the nearest Trados office and they told me that this would not be a problem. Once I would find a buyer they would do the transmitting of the software.
So basically you have to try to sell your licence key give Trados the new contact information and this is it. Yahoo was the best experience, as I received all kinds of pleasure items (-;

I posted my request on ProZ.com but it got rejected because it interferes with the rules of the site. Which is understandable (-:

I also was trying to post it on Ebay which was a failure as well. The problem there is if you do not have the software on a disk it would land under downloadable media which is not allowed. So Ive been told.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for this link Hilary

[Edited at 2005-03-07 18:28]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can one purchase/sell used Software, like Trados for example?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »