Charge extra for checking a website you've already translated?
Thread poster: Christopher W Gladden

Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:19
Japanese to English
May 11, 2016

Hi,

I have a client whose website I've translated (Japanese to English). I got a mail from them the other day asking if I'd "proofread" the site once it's up, which I thought was weird because of course all the work I've given them has been thoroughly checked. When I asked about it, the response was:

"For the proofreading, can you just check what U've done fits in [the site]?"

I guess they mean confirming that all the different sections of the site (titles / graphs and so on) work together. This was like a 19,000 word job. Going back through all of that is going to be a ton of work...

My question is, are other folks often asked to do this kind of thing? Is it something I should be charging extra for, or should I do it as a service, like a "last once-over?"

Thanks for your thoughts!

C

[Edited at 2016-05-11 03:40 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:19
English to French
+ ...
Was the check part of the original agreement? May 11, 2016

If it wasn't, that is your answer.

Natalia Pedrosa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:19
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think you should charge them May 11, 2016

As it is not just checking per se, but other skills and capacities are involved.

I would definitely charge them for that extra "bit" of work.

HIH.

Regards,
N.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.

Ricki Farn
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Ask for clarification May 11, 2016

... on what they want you to check.

The layout / whether your translations fit in the available space and look visually okay there?

Or whether grammatical constructs work in context if you weren't given a context while translating (e.g. I often have to ask whether something is a link/button so the translation needs to be of the form "Download here", or a sentence in ongoing text, so it needs to be of the form "You can download this here").

Or something else?

Whatever it is, it should be paid extra unless it's your fault that this needs to be checked, e.g. because you were given length restrictions or visuals of the original text or whatever would have been helpful in your case, and you decided to ignore that information. But you don't sound like someone who would do this

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Here's your answer May 11, 2016

Christopher W Gladden wrote:

"For the proofreading, can you just check what U've done fits in [the site]?"

They don't want you to check your translation per se, but instead asked you to check their web layout to see if the content fits and/or looks appealing. This is not proofreading. I would charge them either my normal hourly rate or - since they've already paid you (I hope ) for the translation and actual proofreading - negotiate a total amount to cover the many hours you are certain to be spending on a job that you have already completed and delivered to their satisfaction. Checking their site is a new assignment.

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Charge May 11, 2016

Christopher W Gladden wrote:
Is it something I should be charging extra for, or should I do it as a service, like a "last once-over?"

Things like responding to 2-3 queries or requests for clarification passed on from the end client by the agency are all part of my service; I don't charge. Checking a large web site would definitely not be something I would do for free.

Dan

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
If they didn't pay for it ... May 11, 2016

... they shouldn't get it for free.

But it is worth considering including this as part of your standard service for translations for direct clients and raising your fees accordingly. Errors invariably crop up when Word files are converted into book pages or web pages and someone needs to find these and point them out to the graphic designer so that he or she can fix them. The translator is probably the most logical and practical choice for checking the foreign-language material. It is also a last chance to find the few careless mistakes that may have gotten through or inconsistencies that may not become apparent until you have an overview of everything at once (handling of proper names, alternate spellings, formatting of headings, etc.).

If the client has added things or changed things, then I charge an hourly rate for that, but pure proofreading in the sense of looking through and marking up the (digital) proofs or website is included in my rate. However, my offers state this fact and my fees reflect it.

As far as general standards go, I don't think there are any. I think proofreading is considered standard among book translators working directly publishers, but I know that it is not a universal standard, because clients often specifically ask how much this step will cost or ask me to include it in my estimate when they request an offer.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not "strange" and it's a separate service. May 11, 2016

Once you were working on the files, that's one service, and proofreading the site that's up and running is a new one. So tell them so, it's extra hours for you, and extra charge.

Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:19
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Similar case May 11, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Once you were working on the files, that's one service, and proofreading the site that's up and running is a new one. So tell them so, it's extra hours for you, and extra charge.

I've once translated a website selling wine towards a Chinese-speaking audience. Due to the obvious difference in the visual appearance of the language, they did ask me to check the site after the content went live. I did not charge them because it took me very little time and I consider it "service", like Dan above has mentioned.

That being said, 19k words is a lot of content. You should charge them for your time. I'd suggest charging them by the hour. Propose a rate to these clients and see what they have to say.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
New environment. May 11, 2016

Of course you will experience content differently in new environment, and on top of that, developers can misplace text or similar and it may end up in wrong place. That's why localization costs more than translation.

Texte Style
French to English
not strange May 11, 2016

It is certainly not a strange request, it's an all-important final stage.

I have noticed time and again that people will ask for a translation then stick it on their website. They copy and paste the bulk of the copy but can't be bothered to copy and paste the title, they just type it in themselves. Complete with typo. Or they just change last year's dates and you see their event will be held on 1th april.

Long ago I once mentioned the name of a client to a potential client in the same field, they looked at my client's GB website and the first thing they saw was a headline with a huge typo. It was not in my file of course, but I didn't get a chance to explain.

So my attitude is that my rate automatically includes time for a final check, and I request the client's temporary working link so I can perform that check before the website goes public. Clients don't always let me do that, but they've paid for it anyway. So I either get to indulge my perfectionist streak or I get paid to do nothing, both suit me fine.

Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:19
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... May 19, 2016

All of your feedback and thoughts were super helpful!

Michael Wetzel wrote:

... they shouldn't get it for free.

But it is worth considering including this as part of your standard service for translations for direct clients and raising your fees accordingly.

Thanks Michael, that's a great idea. I think I'll do that.

Texte Style wrote:

So my attitude is that my rate automatically includes time for a final check, and I request the client's temporary working link so I can perform that check before the website goes public. Clients don't always let me do that, but they've paid for it anyway.

I like it... just including the service from the start takes any ambiguity out of the process.

Thanks again everyone!

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge extra for checking a website you've already translated?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search