Brazil
Local time: 03:51
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Precise Jul 1, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Infographics-Translation-Pricing.jpg

This is one of the most reasonable posts I have seen here, regarding the 'weight' idea not only in rates (as a general) factor, but as a localized and not isolated item. Prices tend to vary for a number of reasons and one of the most known is 'Demand'. That relates to deals and locations, source/target languages, etc.

We have seen a general discussion on rates as if everyone were translating exactly one language pair only.

That was very interesting.

Thank you, LegalTransform.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:51
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Right Click > Save Image As... Jul 1, 2016

"1. Languages
A translator comes from a country where cost of living is lower?
Cost for his/her language is usually lower as well."

I have been translating English/Turkish/English for a long time. It may be a nice country to live but the cost of living in Turkey is substantially high. I believe this is partly due to high tax rates in Turkey. For example, regular sales tax is 18 % which may go up to 25 % depending on what you purchase. I usually compare these figures with single digit sales tax in the United States.

Cost of unleaded fuel in Turkey is $1.60 per liter (around $6.00 per gallon). This is incredibly high compared to any country in the world. Similary, cost of a subcompact car (e.g. Toyota Corolla) is around $28,000. with a 1.6 liter gasoline engine. If the engine displacement increases, the cost of the car increases geometrically because of high taxes again. Needless to say, the cost for an SUV or pick-up truck is very high.

These examples can go on. The moral of the story is that Turkey is an expensive country to live in. Yet, price of English/Turkish/English translations is very low. I have been charging pretty reasonable rates for translation (about $0.08 per source word) simply because I like to translate. However, I have witnessed many translation agencies proposing much lower rates. Of course, I have always rejected such indecent offers, and will continue to do so.

If we go back to the original quote, I come from a country where cost of living is high. Employing the same logic as above, cost for my language should be high as well. Obviously, it is not. I think some people try to take advantage of English/Turkish/English translators here in Turkey. It is time we give them a wake-up call.

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:51
English to Italian
"It is time WE give them a wake-up call" Jul 1, 2016

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

If we go back to the original quote, I come from a country where cost of living is high. Employing the same logic as above, cost for my language should be high as well. Obviously, it is not. I think some people try to take advantage of English/Turkish/English translators here in Turkey. It is time we give them a wake-up call.

Problem is there is no "we"... (speaking for several language pairs)

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few comments Jul 2, 2016

This seems to be a basic info flier for people who want to have their documents translated.
I am not sure mentioning "Repeats" has a legitimate place on such a flier. There is no mention of CAT on this sheet at all, so why confuse the reader?
Also, what is a "word" in Chinese or Japanese texts? What about different rates for translating from vs. into certain languages?
And one more: shouldn't is be "such as" (at multiple places in the text)?

[Edited at 2016-07-02 00:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

5 Things to Know about Translation Pricing

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search