Brazil
Local time: 00:33
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Precise Jul 1, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Infographics-Translation-Pricing.jpg

This is one of the most reasonable posts I have seen here, regarding the 'weight' idea not only in rates (as a general) factor, but as a localized and not isolated item. Prices tend to vary for a number of reasons and one of the most known is 'Demand'. That relates to deals and locations, source/target languages, etc.

We have seen a general discussion on rates as if everyone were translating exactly one language pair only.

That was very interesting.

Thank you, LegalTransform.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:33
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Right Click > Save Image As... Jul 1, 2016

"1. Languages
A translator comes from a country where cost of living is lower?
Cost for his/her language is usually lower as well."

I have been translating English/Turkish/English for a long time. It may be a nice country to live but the cost of living in Turkey is substantially high. I believe this is partly due to high tax rates in Turkey. For example, regular sales tax is 18 % which may go up to 25 % depending on what you purchase. I usually compare these figures with single digit sales tax in the United States.

Cost of unleaded fuel in Turkey is $1.60 per liter (around $6.00 per gallon). This is incredibly high compared to any country in the world. Similary, cost of a subcompact car (e.g. Toyota Corolla) is around $28,000. with a 1.6 liter gasoline engine. If the engine displacement increases, the cost of the car increases geometrically because of high taxes again. Needless to say, the cost for an SUV or pick-up truck is very high.

These examples can go on. The moral of the story is that Turkey is an expensive country to live in. Yet, price of English/Turkish/English translations is very low. I have been charging pretty reasonable rates for translation (about $0.08 per source word) simply because I like to translate. However, I have witnessed many translation agencies proposing much lower rates. Of course, I have always rejected such indecent offers, and will continue to do so.

If we go back to the original quote, I come from a country where cost of living is high. Employing the same logic as above, cost for my language should be high as well. Obviously, it is not. I think some people try to take advantage of English/Turkish/English translators here in Turkey. It is time we give them a wake-up call.

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:33
English to Italian
"It is time WE give them a wake-up call" Jul 1, 2016

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

If we go back to the original quote, I come from a country where cost of living is high. Employing the same logic as above, cost for my language should be high as well. Obviously, it is not. I think some people try to take advantage of English/Turkish/English translators here in Turkey. It is time we give them a wake-up call.

Problem is there is no "we"... (speaking for several language pairs)

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few comments Jul 2, 2016

This seems to be a basic info flier for people who want to have their documents translated.
I am not sure mentioning "Repeats" has a legitimate place on such a flier. There is no mention of CAT on this sheet at all, so why confuse the reader?
Also, what is a "word" in Chinese or Japanese texts? What about different rates for translating from vs. into certain languages?
And one more: shouldn't is be "such as" (at multiple places in the text)?

[Edited at 2016-07-02 00:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

5 Things to Know about Translation Pricing

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search