Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much can I increase my rate for urgent translation jobs from agencies with a short deadline
Thread poster: Teresa Woischiski
Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:27
Russian to English
:-) Jul 27, 2016

Teresa Woischiski wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone! I will think about it now and then see how or if I do it.
Yes, we are talking about German Euro.

Have a nice day,

Teresa

GERMAN EURO??

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
French to English
Urgent translation increase Jul 27, 2016

Yes, you should try to apply some sort of increase but the "gut feeling" one poster refers to also comes into play.
I shall not address the matter of your basic rate : that is your business, and not the point of your question anyway.

With a client with whom you work regularly and with whom everything runs smoothly, an occasion slightly rush job can just happen.
This is announced as an urgent job and you appear to think that the size of the job already makes the deadlin
... See more
Yes, you should try to apply some sort of increase but the "gut feeling" one poster refers to also comes into play.
I shall not address the matter of your basic rate : that is your business, and not the point of your question anyway.

With a client with whom you work regularly and with whom everything runs smoothly, an occasion slightly rush job can just happen.
This is announced as an urgent job and you appear to think that the size of the job already makes the deadline complicated. Rush jobs in thosee conditions generally mean that quality will be compromised. Worse still, even if you manage to keep going and return the urgent job on time, perhaps other jobs for other clients may end up being done less well and/or delivered late.

For the basic principle, yes, of course, for a big rush job, raise your rate. Propose something you are happy with and what your client will accept. if the client does not accept, then you may decide not to accept the job in this particular case. The difficulty is, even if you explain that there is a risk that the quality is not as good as usual, and that he/she has to pay more for it, if the job is really not that good, it is your reputation that goes down the tubes first. Satisfied clients do not always say how good you are, but an unsatisfied client will not remain quiet for long. In other words, one bad job may lose you a lot of business.

Weigh up the risks, see what you can negotiate and if it becomes mission impossible and one which risks your reputation, then turn the job down.

Last piece of advice... after having explained the risks to the client, and explained that you will be charging more, you might find that they can in fact readjust their deadline. After more than 20 years in the business, I am no longer surprised how an "urgent" job can be re-scheduled when it costs more. Also, I can no longer count the number of times that an "urgent" job comes back days after the deadline with a few modifications... perhpas not that urgent in the first place. The client's urgency can become mine, but the client's stress must not become yours. Some jobs are possible in the conditions the client seeks to impose, others are not. If it is close to "not", then be careful.

[Edited at 2016-07-27 13:26 GMT]
Collapse

SusieSmith
SusieSmith
United Kingdom
I base the additional charge on how much I want to do the task Jul 27, 2016

Obviously we would only accept a "rush" job if we have the time to fit it in.

So the question is: how inconvenient will it be for you? Is this an interesting project you would not mind working on? Or a stressful nightmare?

If you had planned to take the evening off, arranged to meet friends or go to the gym and have to cancel to do the translation, you might want to charge extra.

If you really could do with the extra income, charge only slightly more (if an
... See more
Obviously we would only accept a "rush" job if we have the time to fit it in.

So the question is: how inconvenient will it be for you? Is this an interesting project you would not mind working on? Or a stressful nightmare?

If you had planned to take the evening off, arranged to meet friends or go to the gym and have to cancel to do the translation, you might want to charge extra.

If you really could do with the extra income, charge only slightly more (if any extra) than usual.

The less you want to to the project, the more you should charge.

Then, if you charge 60% extra for the job because you would prefer not to do it - if they say OK you will be handsomely paid for the inconvenience. If they decide you are too expensive, you will be quite relieved. Win-win!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're right... Jul 27, 2016

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Teresa Woischiski wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone! I will think about it now and then see how or if I do it.
Yes, we are talking about German Euro.

Have a nice day,

Teresa

GERMAN EURO??

... that is a very interesting "slip of the tongue"!

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
At least 30-50% Jul 27, 2016

Teresa Woischiski wrote:

I get a lot of jobs from my agencies lately, which require delivery after half a day or day and is a lot of work. How much can I higher my rate for those jobs?

Under these circumstances, I would say 30-50%. However if the assignment requires you to work overnight, 100% is the least you can ask because of the inevitable reduced productivity the following day due to fatigue and lack of sleeping, and you should to be compensated for that.

Best regards

[Edited at 2016-07-27 17:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much can I increase my rate for urgent translation jobs from agencies with a short deadline

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »