Falling rates
Thread poster: Anna Lautzenheiser

Anna Lautzenheiser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Member (2011)
French to English
Aug 2, 2016

After taking some time off from translating to care for my sick parents, I come back to find rates have fallen to half of what they were two years ago. I am being offered as little as .06 per word USD and jobs posted on the jobs board are being budgeted for .03 - .04 per word. What's the deal? Have rates really dropped that much or is it just the bottom feeders posting jobs now?

[Edited at 2016-08-02 18:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Partial member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
There are mostly bottom feeders posting on job boards Aug 2, 2016

Anna Lautzenheiser wrote:

After taking some time off from translating to care for my sick parents, I come back to find rates have fallen to half of what they were two years ago. I am being offered as little as .06 per word USD and jobs posted on the jobs board are being budgeted for .03 - .04 per word. What's the deal? Have rates really dropped that much or is it just the bottom feeders posting jobs now?

[Edited at 2016-08-02 18:44 GMT]

The latter, Anna. But there are exceptions, once in a great while. I don't deal with bottom feeders.
I get most jobs through direct contacts and my client base.

Bernhard

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:47
Russian to English
+ ...
Rates don't fall Aug 2, 2016

Rates don't ever fall except in the very bottom segment of the market. Even in language pairs where the whole market has shrunk dramatically (e.g. anything to do with Russian, because of the political sanctions causing international projects to shut down en masse), I don't see any pressure to reduce my rates. Apparently, you've hit the clients in search of newbie translators, or possibly very greedy ones.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Falling rates

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search