Translation Internet Site
Thread poster: Melguedes
Melguedes
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 3, 2016

Hello, I would like to know who do translation from Internet Site, how do you cover rate, is it per word like other translations or is it for the whole site. It is from German to Portuguese. What should I request for a price.

Thank you for you help

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You need to be paid for your time Aug 4, 2016

Melguedes wrote:
I would like to know who do translation from Internet Site, how do you cover rate, is it per word like other translations or is it for the whole site. It is from German to Portuguese. What should I request for a price.

You can quote however you like - per character, per word, per web page, per site... You can choose. But you do need to be reasonably sure about how long the work is going to take before you quote anything at all (except your normal hourly rate, which a new client may be unhappy with as s/he will probably prefer to know in advance more or less how much it will cost).

How is the text going to be presented to you, and where are you going to translate it? Personally, I've been caught out too often to ever again be tempted to do any copy-pasting of text from websites. I ask for a Word file containing all the text to be translated. That way there are no nasty surprises for either party. If the client later realises there are 50% more words that he hadn't noticed before, as they were somewhat hidden, he can hardly object to paying 50% more for the job. I quote per word as I do for most other translation work. If you're going to be manipulating the data in any way before, during or after the translation process then you need to be paid for that time, either by imposing an hourly rate for that work or by increasing your per-word rate. If you don't and won't know how many source words there are, then you might need to charge by target word. But bear in mind that the target text may be much shorter or much longer than the source. I expect you know what's normal for your pair.

Nobody can tell you what price to charge as that depends on so many things. But check out the community rates tool here: http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:47
Member (2014)
English to German
Be clear of the client's expectations and your own skills Aug 5, 2016

Depending on your technical and computer skills you have to decide what you can offer the client.

For my part I can offer translation of the website text which needs to be delivered in an editable format so that I can load it into a CAT tool, as it seems to be the case for many translators.

Some clients don't seem to know either how it works, and expect the translator to magically transform their website into a great multilingual site in no time.

Therefore you need to communicate well and establish what the client wants and what you can do for them, once you know what the job on hand is going to look like, you can quote for it. This may include a per word rate for translation, some time for formatting or if they want you to check the site afterwards...

[Edited at 2016-08-05 07:13 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Internet Site

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search