Rates for English-Lithuanian translations
Thread poster: _astra_

_astra_
Lithuania
Local time: 12:26
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2016

Hello. I have a question - what are normal rates for Lithuanian-English; English-Lithuanian (written translations (performed by a Lithuanian translator)? To be precise, 1800 characters including spaces, or 250 words) excluding VAT. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maksimoff  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends on many factors :) Aug 16, 2016

Without going into many details (because there are plenty discussions on this topic here) if we speak numbers I'd say anything from 0.10 per word.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 09:37 GMT]

26ramunas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
pointless Aug 16, 2016

It's like asking how much a brick-layer earns - there are top and bottom wages and anything in between. And there also are top and bottom payers.

Saying that the rates start from 0.10 does not mean that a client who is only ready to pay 0.07 will never have his document translated.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Maybe you know more than most? Aug 16, 2016

_astra_ wrote:
Hello. I have a question - what are normal rates for Lithuanian-English; English-Lithuanian (written translations (performed by a Lithuanian translator)? To be precise, 1800 characters including spaces, or 250 words) excluding VAT. Thank you.

You registered on the site many moons ago and are a Lithuanian native speaker. Of course, I don't know what you've been doing all that time, but maybe you know better than many others here. All I know is the rates that are compiled statistically from our own declared (public or hidden) rates: http://search.proz.com/employers/rates
They work well for my pair, with thousands of translators giving their rates, but they may be skewed with smaller sample sizes.

Maksimoff  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Absolutely Aug 16, 2016

ramunas26 wrote:

It's like asking how much a brick-layer earns - there are top and bottom wages and anything in between. And there also are top and bottom payers.

Saying that the rates start from 0.10 does not mean that a client who is only ready to pay 0.07 will never have his document translated.

As I mentioned it all depends. I'd charge 0.10 for a one off client who asks to translate 250 words.
But then I know the client would get his text translated cheaper for sure, and I also know translators whose charges in this pair start with 0.12, 0.13 and even 0.18.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 15:40 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why do you ask us? Aug 16, 2016

As a Lithuanian translator you're the expert for this combination. I'm sure there are many Lithuanians who can translate from English and even a few who can deliver good translations into English. Everybody charges what the client is willing to pay.
Not long ago I received a job offer but was reluctant to take it, so I quoted with my double rate. But they agreed to pay and so I accepted.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:26
English to Croatian
+ ...
Accidentally... Aug 16, 2016

I know a Lithuanian translator who stated that charging 0.07 was too ambitious, and that 0.04 was realistic. That was several years ago, I am sure that by now their 0.04 turned into 0.02-0.03 (with a tendency to go even lower as the time passes by).

Btw, I don't think that ProZ community rates reflect reality.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Living costs Aug 18, 2016

Last week I spent a holiday week in Vilnius on Kaunas and according to the prices in the tourism business a Lithanian translator charging half or even less of our rates will have the same standard of living. And better ice-cream and beer!

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:26
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interesting perspective. Aug 18, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Last week I spent a holiday week in Vilnius on Kaunas and according to the prices in the tourism business a Lithanian translator charging half or even less of our rates will have the same standard of living. And better ice-cream and beer!

Perhaps they will not be able to check your beer, because what they make is not enough to travel and be a tourist somewhere. At least I would say it is not possible for someone charging 0.04 or lower.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for English-Lithuanian translations

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search