Rates for English-Lithuanian translations
Thread poster: _astra_

_astra_
Lithuania
Local time: 18:33
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2016

Hello. I have a question - what are normal rates for Lithuanian-English; English-Lithuanian (written translations (performed by a Lithuanian translator)? To be precise, 1800 characters including spaces, or 250 words) excluding VAT. Thank you.

Maksimoff  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends on many factors :) Aug 16, 2016

Without going into many details (because there are plenty discussions on this topic here) if we speak numbers I'd say anything from 0.10 per word.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 09:37 GMT]

Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
pointless Aug 16, 2016

It's like asking how much a brick-layer earns - there are top and bottom wages and anything in between. And there also are top and bottom payers.

Saying that the rates start from 0.10 does not mean that a client who is only ready to pay 0.07 will never have his document translated.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Maybe you know more than most? Aug 16, 2016

_astra_ wrote:
Hello. I have a question - what are normal rates for Lithuanian-English; English-Lithuanian (written translations (performed by a Lithuanian translator)? To be precise, 1800 characters including spaces, or 250 words) excluding VAT. Thank you.

You registered on the site many moons ago and are a Lithuanian native speaker. Of course, I don't know what you've been doing all that time, but maybe you know better than many others here. All I know is the rates that are compiled statistically from our own declared (public or hidden) rates: http://search.proz.com/employers/rates
They work well for my pair, with thousands of translators giving their rates, but they may be skewed with smaller sample sizes.

Maksimoff  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
Absolutely Aug 16, 2016

ramunas26 wrote:

It's like asking how much a brick-layer earns - there are top and bottom wages and anything in between. And there also are top and bottom payers.

Saying that the rates start from 0.10 does not mean that a client who is only ready to pay 0.07 will never have his document translated.

As I mentioned it all depends. I'd charge 0.10 for a one off client who asks to translate 250 words.
But then I know the client would get his text translated cheaper for sure, and I also know translators whose charges in this pair start with 0.12, 0.13 and even 0.18.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 15:40 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why do you ask us? Aug 16, 2016

As a Lithuanian translator you're the expert for this combination. I'm sure there are many Lithuanians who can translate from English and even a few who can deliver good translations into English. Everybody charges what the client is willing to pay.
Not long ago I received a job offer but was reluctant to take it, so I quoted with my double rate. But they agreed to pay and so I accepted.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:33
German to Serbian
+ ...
Accidentally... Aug 16, 2016

I know a Lithuanian translator who stated that charging 0.07 was too ambitious, and that 0.04 was realistic. That was several years ago, I am sure that by now their 0.04 turned into 0.02-0.03 (with a tendency to go even lower as the time passes by).

Btw, I don't think that ProZ community rates reflect reality.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Living costs Aug 18, 2016

Last week I spent a holiday week in Vilnius on Kaunas and according to the prices in the tourism business a Lithanian translator charging half or even less of our rates will have the same standard of living. And better ice-cream and beer!

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:33
German to Serbian
+ ...
Interesting perspective. Aug 18, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Last week I spent a holiday week in Vilnius on Kaunas and according to the prices in the tourism business a Lithanian translator charging half or even less of our rates will have the same standard of living. And better ice-cream and beer!

Perhaps they will not be able to check your beer, because what they make is not enough to travel and be a tourist somewhere. At least I would say it is not possible for someone charging 0.04 or lower.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for English-Lithuanian translations

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search