Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:58
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2016

It obviously doesn't matter how much or how little a translator charges; anyone can be featured and anyone can charge as little as they want and be featured. Why don't we add that to the "professional practices" of Proz.com?!

[Edited at 2016-09-10 01:51 GMT]

PS: In other words, it's quite obvious that many members (even those who claim 8 or more years of experience) here totally undercut, are cheap and obviously don't know any better.

So let's not compla
... See more
It obviously doesn't matter how much or how little a translator charges; anyone can be featured and anyone can charge as little as they want and be featured. Why don't we add that to the "professional practices" of Proz.com?!

[Edited at 2016-09-10 01:51 GMT]

PS: In other words, it's quite obvious that many members (even those who claim 8 or more years of experience) here totally undercut, are cheap and obviously don't know any better.

So let's not complain about what anyone gets paid or blame agencies or wonder why real professionals who are not willing to "adjust" to these bottom rates (because they really don't have to) won't have any sympathy for such behavior and can't see the "featured translator" function as an example of a professional translator.

And it goes to show that "featured translator" is nothing more than what it really is, a translator featured because it was his/her turn based on some lottery or algorithm?! The feature holds no value and does not guarantee the featured person is following best practices. Just to make that clear.

[Edited at 2016-09-10 03:19 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:58
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
To sympathize or not to sympathize. Sep 10, 2016

I cannot sympathize with translators who offer their work at 0.04, then come to the boards complaining how the agency now wants them to work at 0.02. When 0.04 is your starting selling point, no sympathy is deserved, sorry.

I could sympathize if their beginning rate were 0.08+ and then agency suddenly asked them to work at 0.04.

Nb. I don't know much about Featured Translator option. I am sure I received notifications a couple of times how I was one, but not sure whethe
... See more
I cannot sympathize with translators who offer their work at 0.04, then come to the boards complaining how the agency now wants them to work at 0.02. When 0.04 is your starting selling point, no sympathy is deserved, sorry.

I could sympathize if their beginning rate were 0.08+ and then agency suddenly asked them to work at 0.04.

Nb. I don't know much about Featured Translator option. I am sure I received notifications a couple of times how I was one, but not sure whether and how it has some big relevance.

[Edited at 2016-09-10 08:32 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Five minutes of fame? Sep 10, 2016

I don't think the "featured translator" facility has any relevance at all regarding whether or not the featured person is a good and reliable translator, what rate they charge and so on.
As Bernhard says, people are briefly "featured" here according to some system of "turns" of which we are not informed.
Maybe it's just one of the "fun" aspects of Proz, designed to give each member his or her five minutes of Warholian fame.

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Want to get featured? Sep 10, 2016

Pay for your ads. If you pay for your ads, you know your own worth. As simple as that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hello Featured translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »