Thread poster: Dominika Schoenborn

Dominika Schoenborn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 24, 2005

Dear All,
My client has requested me for a quote for travelling with her to Poland to provide interpreting services. The trip is gona last two day (one-day of interpreting, staying for a night, and the next day returning to the UK). Since this is the first time where I have been offered to do interpreting abroad, I have no idea how to quote and how much? Do I charge per hour, per day - I would be interpreting during a first day, the second is just coming back - do I charge for the second day? Travelling costs and accomodation will be covered. Could you please tell me how much should I charge, my normal hourly, daily rates, higher or lower? What would be the reasonable quote? Your help would be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2005-03-24 12:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 14:42
German to Spanish
+ ...
Your day rate +... Mar 24, 2005

Hi Dominika,

I would charge your standard one day rate for consecutive interpreting, plus 40-50% of the rate for the returning day back to England: you won't be interpreting but you will lose the day since you are travelling because of this job. Your client should take care of all your travelling costs (flight, hotel accomodation and meals and/or allowances. That's it.

Cheers

Conrado

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 days - Your Opportunity Cost Mar 24, 2005

As I understand the interpreting business, the client buys your availability.
Good luck, ALEJANDRA

Aneta Mihali Xhiku
United States
Local time: 08:42
Albanian to English
+ ...
2 days: rate $250 - $300; second day 80% of the first one. Enjoy the trip! Mar 24, 2005

Alejandra Villarroel wrote:

As I understand the interpreting business, the client buys your availability.
Good luck, ALEJANDRA

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Client buys your time Mar 24, 2005

The client buys your time and has to pay the daily rate for both days he is keeping you away from other jobs.
Plus do not forget to chage for traveling to airport from your house and back. Once you set your foot out of the house you should not spend any money till you are back next day - only earn.

Enjoy Poland!
Cheers,
Burrell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

quote for travelling with a client abroad

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search