Reading of notary deed
Thread poster: laura_salvadori

laura_salvadori
Local time: 08:48
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Oct 3, 2016

Hi everyone!
How much will you charge to read a notary deed in Chinese?I am Italian, so Chinese is not my mother tongue. I do not know yet the length of the document, they just told me the meeting will last more or less half an hour
Thanks

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 00:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Question not clear Oct 4, 2016

What do you mean by 'read' the notary deed? Are you expected to translate it as you go along? Are you comfortable with that?

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
German to English
question has come up before Oct 5, 2016

Assuming that this is about literally reading the notary deed in Chinese:

Be absolutely certain that the translation has been done ahead of time and that this is purely about fulfilling the formality that the deed be read aloud by the notary. Make sure that you are given the translation ahead of time, so that you can look through it and practice until you are able to read it extremely quickly without it becoming unintelligible for your listeners. (And honestly ask yourself whether or not you are able to fulfill this requirement.) Make sure that the notary's clients are given the translation in advance, so that they already know everything and can clear up any concerns in advance.

If anyone starts giving you vague answers or putting things off, then you should run away from this project: It is not possible for anyone to interpret or sight-translate at the speed notaries read documents and these sessions are not there to clear up any points of concern or confusion. They are meant to be purely a formality and generally are. It might make sense to charge three hours (1 1/2 hours for the reading and preparation plus 1 1/2 hours of travel time) and then charge extra if the meeting lasts significantly more than half an hour - or you could make everyone's life easier and simply charge a half-day, which would also cover everything if the meeting lasts two or three times longer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reading of notary deed

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search