Anna Fredén  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:15
Member (2016)
French to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2016

Any Swedish subtitlers out there?

I'm a Swedish translator who would like to get into subtitling, and I'm wondering about the going rates at the moment from, say, a language like English (or any other that you have experience from)?

I've understood that subtitling can be divided into a translation part and a time coding part, so please mention if your rates are for the whole process or just a part of it. If you're also asked to create the transcription, how much do you charge for that?

Yes, I've read the newspaper articles about subtitling being poorly paid in Sweden, and still I want to give it a go, because I think it seems like fun Not if I'm really only going to be paid peanuts, though...

Direct link Reply with quote

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:15
Member (2013)
English to Russian
You've understood wrong Oct 6, 2016

Subtitling is much more than a mere sum of translation and timecoding, and before starting offering this service, you'd need to get proper training.

From what I know, professional Swedish subtitlers work for around 15 euros per programme minute.

[Edited at 2016-10-06 13:29 GMT]

Sweden
Member (2016)
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Training resources Oct 6, 2016

Thanks for your reply, Max. Comparing to what I read elsewhere on rates from a few years back or into other languages, 15€ sounds relatively high, so that's good news. I suppose it would be lower for someone just starting out, though.

I do realize I need training in this, and I'm also thinking of how to go about it. I've applied for subtitling TED videos through Amara and I'm looking for online sources about subtitling. I read somewhere here in the forum that a good way to learn would be to download trials of different subtitling tools and try them out. Would you have any advice on the most important things to focus on, or any resources you've found particularly useful?

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:15
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Oct 6, 2016

Anna Fredén wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Max. Comparing to what I read elsewhere on rates from a few years back or into other languages, 15€ sounds relatively high, so that's good news. I suppose it would be lower for someone just starting out, though.

I do realize I need training in this, and I'm also thinking of how to go about it. I've applied for subtitling TED videos through Amara and I'm looking for online sources about subtitling. I read somewhere here in the forum that a good way to learn would be to download trials of different subtitling tools and try them out. Would you have any advice on the most important things to focus on, or any resources you've found particularly useful?

Going through trials of different tools will help you learn the technical side of subtitling, but there's also the linguistic side. As I've already written in other topics, the quick-and-dirty way to learn a great deal about subtitling is to read Jorge Diaz-Cintas and Aline Remael's book Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling (the paperback version with the DVD). A better but more expensive and time-consuming way is to take the online (or even offline, if you can afford it) subtitling course at UCL CenTraS: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/centras/professional-online-courses/online-course-subtitling

After that, you can dig through the articles on subtitling at jostrans.org and translationjournal.net; those are a bonanza of subtitling knowledge.

Sweden
Member (2016)
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 10, 2016

Thanks a lot for the advice

J.M. Hernegren  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Rates are lower... Oct 10, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

From what I know, professional Swedish subtitlers work for around 15 euros per programme minute.

[Edited at 2016-10-06 13:29 GMT]

I think the average rate must be closer to €4-5 per minute, although I do not know what rates all the different agencies offer. But as Anna pointed out, the issue of subtitling rates has been brought up in the media, which probably would never have happend if subtitlers earned €15/minute.

[Edited at 2016-10-10 18:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates into Swedish

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search