https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/309118-spanish_english_hourly_freelance_interpreter_rates.html

Spanish-English hourly freelance interpreter rates
Thread poster: DarwinE
DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2016

I have searched the forum (and the internet in general) and the closest answer I have found to this inquiry were posts on forums that were 10 years old or more so preferably I would like a more updated answer.

I joined a local Translator/Interpreter association. One person contacted me for help with interpreting for a deposition. Although I said I would be unable to make it because it was such short notice, they offered to add me to their list of local interpreters but asked what my
... See more
I have searched the forum (and the internet in general) and the closest answer I have found to this inquiry were posts on forums that were 10 years old or more so preferably I would like a more updated answer.

I joined a local Translator/Interpreter association. One person contacted me for help with interpreting for a deposition. Although I said I would be unable to make it because it was such short notice, they offered to add me to their list of local interpreters but asked what my rates were. This is where I got stuck.
I've interpreted for volunteer organizations before, but never in a situation where I could get paid for it which makes me unsure as to what rates I should be proposing.

My language pair is English-Spanish. I live in Texas. I work as a full-time medical interpreter. I am still not certified, but per my job requirements, will be National Board certified within the next 6 months. I have a B.A. in Spanish Translation and Interpreting. I would only feel comfortable doing interpreting for General or Medical topics, but once I get comfortable with the terminology again I would like to make myself available for depositions so I am interested in those rates as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English hourly freelance interpreter rates

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »