https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/3096-paypal%3A_what_do_you_all_think.html

Paypal: what do you all think?
Thread poster: Lexi-tech
Lexi-tech
Lexi-tech  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
Italian to English
+ ...
May 31, 2002

How do you think Paypal is working? Is it available to most translators world-wide? Does it work well for large/small amounts of money?

Is Paypal being used by outsourcers? And how?

I would be grateful if you were to contribute your point of view and help us make a decision in this respect.

paola ludovici macquarrie

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
French to English
Slow Jun 4, 2002

After having read all sorts of horror stories about Paypal, most of which are from direct competitors of Paypal, I began to get worried. Looking back, here\'s how I see it.

Positive points :

- handy, inexpensive particularly for large amounts on which no fees are charged.

- easy to use (once set up)

Negative points :

- setting up (with a French bank account) is possible but can be a lengthy process. I had to fax all sorts of
... See more
After having read all sorts of horror stories about Paypal, most of which are from direct competitors of Paypal, I began to get worried. Looking back, here\'s how I see it.

Positive points :

- handy, inexpensive particularly for large amounts on which no fees are charged.

- easy to use (once set up)

Negative points :

- setting up (with a French bank account) is possible but can be a lengthy process. I had to fax all sorts of details through (passport, credit card, signatures...) as the online system is not equipped to deal with the French banking details. French banking is in a galaxy of its own though, period!

- change your e-mail address, loose your password and it\'s hell.

I changed my e-mail address and lost my password. You need your original e-mail with which you opened your account to get a new password sent. Solution? Apply on line to have a new pwd sent by snail mail. Takes 2 weeks to come - if you\'re lucky. You logon with the old address you no longer have. Seems odd but it works and then you change your primary e-mail address.

Advice : enter every single e-mail address you have form the word go and don\'t loose your pwd!

- Conatct info. If you do need to get in touch with them, it\'s hell. Finding the numbers is difficult enough and then you have to get through to the right person at the right time with the right info. When I did get through they were extremely polite and helpful and answered all my questions plainly and clearly.

All of the hassle is apparently justified for security reasons. I\'ve had no bother on that front. Although I woudl avoid leaving lots of money just sitting there. You can always transfer it quickly if needed. But don\'t leave large amounts. If your account is frozen or inaccessible for password problems etc, your money is no use to you there!
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Took be a long time to cancel! Jun 4, 2002

No, thank you, PayPal, that\'s over for me. It is no use if you do not live in a country that accepts bank transfers.

I just made an experience and wrote to them:

\"I cannot transfer money to the newly created business account XXXX because the XXXX does not have a credit card yet.

I wanted to use my credit card, but it is not accepted, because I use is for my private account .

I wanted to close my private account but I
... See more
No, thank you, PayPal, that\'s over for me. It is no use if you do not live in a country that accepts bank transfers.

I just made an experience and wrote to them:

\"I cannot transfer money to the newly created business account XXXX because the XXXX does not have a credit card yet.

I wanted to use my credit card, but it is not accepted, because I use is for my private account .

I wanted to close my private account but I cannot close it because there is no bank account.

It is no use to give you a bank account because I cannot transfer the money to Switzerland, never could.

NOW, what can I do? NOTHING! You want to be an international service, but it simply does not work.

PLEASE: Close my private account. (It is, by the way, very hard to find out how to close an account and the information given on the Help pages is WRONG!!!!)

Transfer the money left to the XXXX Use my credit card information from my private account for the business account of XXX

Or the business goes elsewhere.\"

What did I get? No answer. So I transferred the money from my private account to a friend in the States (the only possibility). Took of my credit card information and closed the account.

and closed the newly created business account as well.

Anyone heard of

http://www.e-gold.com/unsecure/qanda.html ??

Semms quite interesting.

Collapse

aivars
aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
does PayPal work in Argentina? Jun 6, 2002

hi: just wanted to know if anyone could collect any money with Paypal, working from Argentina

cheers

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
TransEx: www.paypal.com Jun 9, 2002

This is their site. It is easy to find out.

By the way, if I were to charge $ 0.04 per word, I would not advertise it. It hurts us all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal: what do you all think?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »