https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/310436-recommendation_of_debt_collectors_in_uk.html

Recommendation of Debt collectors in UK
Thread poster: Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Cote D'ivoire
Local time: 22:30
English to French
Jan 5, 2017

Can i have some information? Here is my case,I found this agency on a freelance site and we agreed to theses terms(they sent me the Po):

Terms and Conditions

By accepting this job you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions. Furthermore, by accepting this job you are confirming that our terms override and take president over any terms that you or your company operate:

All appointments will be paid according to POs and 60 days from end of m
... See more
Can i have some information? Here is my case,I found this agency on a freelance site and we agreed to theses terms(they sent me the Po):

Terms and Conditions

By accepting this job you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions. Furthermore, by accepting this job you are confirming that our terms override and take president over any terms that you or your company operate:

All appointments will be paid according to POs and 60 days from end of month.

Should the deadline not be met by the supplier or, entirely at our own, sole discretion and judgement, we believe the work to be of substandard quality, we reserve the right to either reduce payment or withhold payment entirely.

Copyright of your deliverables becomes the full property of XX upon your delivery to us, not on our payment of this Job Order or your invoices. You fully agree to transfer the full copyright to XX upon delivery. No right to ownership of copyright can be claimed after delivery.

You agree that non-authorised attempts by you to contact out customers are strictly prohibited regardless of circumstances. You agree that should you contact our clients in this way, we will be fully entitled to withhold payment from you.

Payments are made by BACS or PayPal. International money wire transfers (bank to bank transfers) can be accommodated but the receiving party will be responsible for paying all bank charges.

It was agreed that I would be paid by skrill but by the end of the month my account was blocked (9 days before December 30) so I contacted the Project and Recruitment Administrator by email (twice) and obtained no answer. I do not know the status of my payment(They have my account number too), as far as I know the project took place from October 6 to October 12 of the coup I must be paid on December 30th right?
And in the event that he has canceled the payment or reduced it for something, I have to be also informed but there is nothing. so i started searching for the agency on proz blueboard (since i can't access the hall on translatorscafe, i don't know if it exist there too) and surprise more than 8 people on 10 didn't get paid! One even talked about waiting from payment and it was in 2014! I found a post about this matter somewhere and right now i'm thinking of spamming "Red" emails to them, i'm serious! But since i emailed him to tell that the payment need to be done by wire transfer so i'll wait today and tomorrow, if no answer, i'll start.
Can someone recommend me a debt collector in UK? The amount is £176 so how much will they take?

NB: My skrill account has been reopened since December 27 so I can say that I have not received anything.

[Edited at 2017-01-05 10:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-05 11:14 GMT]
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:30
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
T&C not relevant Jan 5, 2017

I am sorry, it sounds like you are ripped off. This is a case of a non-paying client, and you need to check credentials, reports etc. before you accept a job. The T&C is a formality that such companies don't care about or may even use just to look professional.
I apologize, I just now notice the title of your post; I don't know debt collectors in the UK but maybe you can contact the other people who left negative feedback?

[Edited at 2017-01-05 12:59 GMT]

Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Cote D'ivoire
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Board Jan 5, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

I am sorry, it sounds like you are ripped off. This is a case of a non-paying client, and you need to check credentials, reports etc. before you accept a job. The T&C is a formality that such companies don't care about or may even use just to look professional.

I checked the identity of the person who contacted me before accepting and i got two positive answers from fellow translators. Ok i'll try contacting the others peoples

[Edited at 2017-01-05 13:18 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't bother Jan 5, 2017

I don't think you'll get anyone to chase an amount that small

Try threatening the client with legal action and it should work

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Were reports submitted after accepting job? Jan 5, 2017

Marina Diaponon wrote:

I checked the identity of the person who contacted me before accepting and i got two positive answers from fellow translators. Ok i'll try contacting the others peoples

Did the negative reports happen after you accepted the job? In other words: did they collect a lot of negative feedback in a short time? You may want to report this to the site staff.

I often recheck companies, even when I have been working with for a longer time.

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Threats often don't work Jan 5, 2017

Chris S wrote:

I don't think you'll get anyone to chase an amount that small

Try threatening the client with legal action and it should work

If someone already has a low rating, adding more threats won't do a thing. It usually only works with an agency that likes to keep their 5 star rating. For some, nothing works, and in this case, for a relatively small amount of money (for the company, at least), most likely translator will have to absorb the loss, unless they can take action as a group and report the company.

Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Cote D'ivoire
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Re Recommendation of Debt collectors in UK Jan 5, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Marina Diaponon wrote:

Did the negative reports happen after you accepted the job? In other words: did they collect a lot of negative feedback in a short time? You may want to report this to the site staff.

I often recheck companies, even when I have been working with for a longer time.

Yeah i found the negative reports after completing the job. I contacted one of the people who wrote on the blue bord and she say that she only got her money after many phone calls and emails. And since they are in the same country, she even gone to their agency one day. She even say i quote "they are real cowboys, catching them is hard since they ignore emails".

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 00:30
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Terms and conditions Jan 5, 2017

I'm sorry that I do not know how you can recover such a small amount-doubt if it is worthwhile pursuing through an agency. While I sincerely hope you will be paid, I don't think I would have accepted the condition that your translation is their property once you deliver it not once you are paid for it-that should have rung an alarm bell, I think but one learns after. Good luck.

[Edited at 2017-01-05 19:04 GMT]

Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Cote D'ivoire
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I learned Jan 5, 2017

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I'm sorry that I do not know how you can recover such a small amount-doubt if it is worthwhile pursuing through an agency. While I sincerely hope you will be paid, I don't think I would have accepted the condition that your translation is their property once you deliver it not once you are paid for it-that should have been an eye-opener I think but one learns after. Good luck.

Yes i learned and i don't have much hope. At this point, i just want to do something to be a thorn in their legs

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Your location doesn't help either. Jan 5, 2017

If you were in the EU, you could take them to the UK small claims court, which I have found very effective. But I also have extensive experience of working with debt collection agencies before I became a translator, and they're not interested in small individual debts like this. Even if they were, they'd take around 35% of what they collected.

Marina Diaponon
Marina Diaponon
Cote D'ivoire
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad i'm not in EU Jan 5, 2017

philgoddard wrote:

If you were in the EU, you could take them to the UK small claims court, which I have found very effective. But I also have extensive experience of working with debt collection agencies before I became a translator, and they're not interested in small individual debts like this. Even if they were, they'd take around 35% of what they collected.

So they wouldn't be interested in this small amount...too bad

[Edited at 2017-01-05 19:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendation of Debt collectors in UK

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »