Italy: translation fees per sentence
Thread poster: xxxcristianac
xxxcristianac
Local time: 07:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2005

Hi all,
I am a little bit out of practice with fees at the moment and the Association for Translators and Interpreters AITI do not show them anymore. So that's why I need some suggestions: Yesterday I went for an interview in a Translation Agency where they were looking for a translator (IT-ENG-FR.) with VAT working on-site (at the agency office) for 0,35 euro per sentence (55 strokes including spaces) for technical texts...
It seems really badly-paid but the advantage should be that the workload is always guaranteed.
Any suggestions?
thanks a lot
Cris

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Too low if not subsidised Apr 12, 2005

On a rough calculation it sounds like around €0.0415 per word which is certainly below the average range for freelance professional quality, but also credible for knock-em out work that agencies (and/or customers) who skimp on quality dish out.
However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and have subsidised transportation, otherwise you may not have enough income left to buy food, especially if you live in high-cost northern Italy.

If you have no or limited experience, and live in subsidised conditions, it may be worthwhile as a start-up experience, otherwise forget it.

Good luck.

xxxcristianac
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 12, 2005

Thanks for your time...you've been very eloquent and clear!

On a rough calculation it sounds like around €0.0415 per word which is certainly below the average range for freelance professional quality, but also credible for knock-em out work that agencies (and/or customers) who skimp on quality dish out.
However, if this is VAT included and work on site is mandatory then forget it, unless you live in subsidised housing (i.e. live at home with parents or similar) and have subsidised transportation, otherwise you may not have enough income left to buy food, especially if you live in high-cost northern Italy.

If you have no or limited experience, and live in subsidised conditions, it may be worthwhile as a start-up experience, otherwise forget it.

Good luck. [/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italy: translation fees per sentence

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search