Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 26

There was a forum discussion recently about plans to make the self-employed in the UK submit tax returns at least four times a year. These plans have now been abandoned.
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph/20170426/281505046108084
This will come as a relief to many of us in the UK, including me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Hooray! Apr 26

Thank you for passing on this welcome news, Jack. I can now stop badgering my MP - who probably has other matters on his mind right now.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WOW Apr 26

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Thank you for passing on this welcome news, Jack. I can now stop badgering my MP - who probably has other matters on his mind right now.

Thanks Jack - I kind of knew there would be yet another U-turn. As it happens I'm off right now to do a couple of hours campaigning with my MP.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Fab! Apr 26

We can relax now...

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
It's not buried yet Apr 26

Well, it's not yet a U-turn but chances are there will be a U-turn on this. For now, the plans have not been abandoned but put on hold - otherwise they would have had to rush it through before the elections. This may well come back to life again.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Put on hold, anyway Apr 26

The 'Telegraph' headline said "abandoned", but after reading the whole story, I think "put on hold" would have been a better way of putting it. But it's a reprieve anyway, and let's hope it will be abandoned in the end.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That depends Apr 26

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Well, it's not yet a U-turn but chances are there will be a U-turn on this. For now, the plans have not been abandoned but put on hold - otherwise they would have had to rush it through before the elections. This may well come back to life again.

They would have to win the election first

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK tax return plans abandoned

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search