Bank check as an international payment tool?
Thread poster: Evi Wollinger

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:27
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2002

A few days ago I received a check in US funds from an Agency in Germany. I deposited the check without any problems, however a few days later it was returned. My branch investigated the matter and it turns out that there was no problem with funds covering the check.

They (headoffice, I guess) just did not accept the check and are telling me to ask for a money order instead.

The people in Germany are cooperating, I don\'t think I\'ll have trouble getting paid.

I would like to know if anybody else has experienced these kind of problems. Can you ever accept a check from overseas, what currency should it be in?

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Post Bank Germany Jun 9, 2002

Tell you client you want to be paid through Post Bank Germany. It is cheaper for them and they can send you a PostCashInternational Money order. It won\'t cost you a cent.Canadian Postal Services deliver the money cash at your address.

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, now I remember! Jun 9, 2002

The moment I read your posting I remembered, this is called \"Postanweisung\", right?

It\'s been quite a few years since I lived in Germany!

Thank you for the advice, I\'ll definitely keep it in mind for future clients.

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
I live in the U.S.A.... Jun 11, 2002

...and I always get paid through cheques. Always.

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in french francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
I live in Belgium Jun 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 17:02, Bertha wrote:

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in french francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

and until recently I accepted all kinds of cheques from US clients, French clients, UK clients,...

Recently I dropped all that, because it takes far too long before cheques are cleared by the issuing bank.

Recently, I had to wait almost 7 (seven) weeks before payment actually was credited on my bank account.

4 banks were involved, a.o. one of the largest in the US.

They simply kept the cheque for almost 6 weeks.

Since the amount was rather substantial, I assume they wanted to play a bit with my money.

Afterwards I was charged almost 100 euro for \'communications\' because my bank had to get in touch with the issuing American bank...

I\'m now still waiting for a French cheque to be cleared.

Received it three weeks ago (and I already had to wait 80 days before the cheque actually arrived).

Too much hassle, if you ask me...

I now only accept payments by bank wire transfer.

If needed, payments can reach my bank account from e.g. California in 24 hours.

[addsig]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
FR versus US banking Jun 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-11 17:02, Bertha wrote:

Clients outside the USA have also paid me with bank cheques. I have received cheques in French francs, in euros, in sterling pounds and in Canadian dollars. Never a problem. I always deposit the checks in my bank account here in the USA and checks may take between 5 -10 days to clear.

In France it\'s a different story altogether. French banking procedures are slow and expensive. Crediting a foreign cheque - even from within the Euro zone - and from the UK and Switzerland (non-Euro), will take anything up to three weeks. Yes, three weeks. And I will be charged in excess of 50 euros for the privilege!

International interbank transfers take anything from a few days to a week, cost generally less than cheques but are still relatively expensive to clear.

So much for European harmonization!

In fact, it does depend a lot on your bank but the time limits posted here are an average resulting from my experience of 3 different banks over 12 years!

Nikki

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 15:36 ]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
FR versus US banking Jun 12, 2002

Deleted double posting

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-12 15:37 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank check as an international payment tool?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search