Thread poster: Rina LS

Rina LS  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 07:47
English to Serbian
+ ...
May 3, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I would truly appreciate it if someone could help me.
Well, as a freelance translator (with no own company), I have never had to specify any ID in my invoices. I just have had to specify my account number and SWIFT code for money transfer via bank transfer. Now, after three corrected invoices (due to lack of invoicing instructions/invoicing practice info provided by the agency for which I did several projects) my invoice had been accepted. However, a few hours later, I got the message that my invoice "could not be accepted because of formal shortcomings, such as your (my)missing ID". Does anyone have any idea if this is a trick or something, just to postpone their duties/payment for services I provided. I must emphasize that I am a translator over 12 years, and have never had such an experience. Would you be kind to share your experience with me that could be helpful to me? What kind of ID should I provide when it is obvious that I cannot provide my company ID. Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Rina

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniela Gardini
Italy
English to German
+ ...
Why don't you ask the agency ? May 3, 2005

May I suggest, that you ask the agency directly what kind of ID they need. Depending on the country of residence this ID could be the VAT Number or a term for new bank transfer codes or any other item their databank requests.

Good luck
Daniela

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
VAT ID probably May 3, 2005

Hi! You should ask the outsourcer, whether he/ she means Tax number or VAT Id.
Rgds,
Brandis

[Edited at 2005-05-03 06:52]

Christopher RH
French to English
The agency may need proof you are not an employee May 3, 2005

In France, if you don't give proof of registration as freelancer/sole trader, the agency can be fined for "undeclared employment" as you are presumed to be an employee, and the agency will owe arrears of all the social charges on the "net wage" they paid you.

I expect similar rules apply all over, but applied with more or less tolerance according to the country's social policy.

davidgreen
German to English
this was my typical experience with Spanish companies May 3, 2005

I had to resend just about every invoice 3-4 times in Spain. Ultimately, Spanish companies not only need your tax ID but also THEIR taxpayer ID needed to be on the invoice. I agree with the pro that suggested contacting the agency to specify what ID you need. Also, my experience has never been that agencies do this to avoid paying, I find it has only been the way paperwork happens to be done at this or that agency.

Rina LS  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
INFO ON ID URGENTLY NEEDED May 3, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Thank you all for help. Unfortunately, the agency did not ask for VAT number, but Company ID number as I specified. Since I do not have my own agency, according to my country's social policy/policy at all, I do not have an ID (company ID) and also do not need a proof of registration as a freelancer, such as registering an agency to get an ID number.
Anyway, the suggestion from the colleague from France who is also a teacher and a translator, just like me, was very useful and I hope that this thing is settled now. (My appology. I forgot your name, dear colleague.)

Once again thank you all for your kind comments, suggestions and help.

With greatest regards,

Katarina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent information on ID needed

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search