Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:15
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Intermediary bank Oct 28, 2017

Inez, as far as I know, this is standard for most US banks. Only a few large banks handle international transactions directly. All the other banks (and there are many many of them, mostly the local and state banks), run their transactions through one of these larger (intermediary/hub) banks. It is all rather complex, look for example at the informa... See more
Inez, as far as I know, this is standard for most US banks. Only a few large banks handle international transactions directly. All the other banks (and there are many many of them, mostly the local and state banks), run their transactions through one of these larger (intermediary/hub) banks. It is all rather complex, look for example at the information for the bank that I use:
https://www.suntrust.com/microsites/OTM/materials/OTMWire_INTERIM.pdf

Normally, banks can figure this out and all you need to do is provide your correct bank info. Basically, you need to get information from YOUR bank to know which information you need to provide to your client in order to get paid.

I agree with what others wrote earlier, that the problem most likely is with your own bank.
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:15
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

I HAVE asked for all the necessary info and passed these on to the client.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
... Oct 28, 2017

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Nikki, all of this has been done. I have also clearly explained to my client, what they need to do when they send the payment. They don't listen. They again have sent the payment to the intermediary bank even though I have told them - and I emphasized this each time - what account details they have to use.

I was clearly told today that they have other things to do than to discuss this matter each and every day (but I do, right? All in all spent about a whole workday with writing and calling etc.) and that the discussion is finished now. I should stop talking to the bank (their bank...they probably fear I might find out that this 10% fee is a lie), wait if the payment arrive this time and stop blaming them (in fact, I called some of them plain stupid - and I would do it again). We'll see.

Inez, I probaby wasn't very clear. That was not what I meant.

I think the problem is with your bank, not your client's bank. After all, the client managed to send the payment, but it was your bank that refused it or that was unable to accept it. That's why I suggest that you make sure that your bank corrects whatever prevented them from receiving a USD bank transfer payment from your US client.
There is no point talking to your clients about their bank. Their bank was able to make the payment out.

The main second point I made, was to mail your client's head of department and accounts department to ask them to hold the payment until you have sorted out the problem with your bank.

I note that you have provided the info the US bank has asked for. But maybe your bank need another piece of information.

[Edited at 2017-10-29 01:07 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
It is probably on its way Oct 28, 2017

Inez Ulrich wrote:

I've seent hat they have sent the payment to the intermediary bank, even though I have told them several times they can send the Euro-payment directly to my normal bank account. Somebody is plain stupid there. I always need to wait half a day or even a whole day if I ask them a question 8and I had a lot of questions!!), or get no answer at all, like to my question about the 10% yesterday. I suppose the payment will land at the intermediary bank who won't know why it receives a Euro-pament for an account that doesn't belong to their bank and send it back. You know, I could do some terrible thing so some people out there! Maybe I'm wrong and the money will be on my account on Monday or so, but I don't believe so.

Inez,

For your US client to make an international payment, they no doubt have to go through an intermediary. Indeed, once it arrives in Germany, it probably arrives through an intermediary bank in Germany before arriving in your branch. That is quite simply the way these type of payments work. There is no point telling your client not to pay you that way. They instruct their bank to make the payment and thereafter, it is beyond their control. If the funds are correctly referenced, etc., there is no reason why they should not arrive on you account.

... which is why I suggest you double check exactly what info your bank needs to receive the funds. If the IBAN is sufficient, then it should work with the IBAN, for example. Your branch was aware of the funds arriving so the problem seems to be near the final stage in the process.

(My ex-husband once bought a motorbike in Rhode Island. Luckily we were staying for a few weeks. He instructed the bank in France to make the payment which left his account the very same day. The clearing process from France to the US took almost two weeks to get through for a fairly large amount of money. Once the funds had arrived in the US, they went through two intermediary banks before the person selling the motorbike received the funds on his account!) I'm telling you this little anecdote to reassure you that it can sometimes take time and that it is probably not your client's fault.

[Edited at 2017-10-28 18:50 GMT]

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

sure, it is on its way. Only I don't know if it doesn't get sent back again and the game is starting all over again. German bank can send such payments back, for all kinds of reasons. That is why I begged them to use another payment method. They don#t even react on this.

As I said, all already done.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Nikki, all of this has been done. I have also clearly explained to my client, what they need to do when they send the payment. They don't listen. They again have sent the payment to the intermediary bank even though I have told them - and I emphasized this each time - what account details they have to use.

I was clearly told today that they have other things to do than to discuss this matter each and every day (but I do, right? All in all spent about a whole workday with writing and calling etc.) and that the discussion is finished now. I should stop talking to the bank (their bank...they probably fear I might find out that this 10% fee is a lie), wait if the payment arrive this time and stop blaming them (in fact, I called some of them plain stupid - and I would do it again). We'll see.

Inez, I probaby wasn't very clear. That was not what I meant.

I think the problem is with your bank, not your client's bank. After all, the client managed to send the payment, but it was your bank that refused it or that was unable to accept it. That's why I suggest that you make sure that your bank corrects whatever prevented them from receiving a USD bank transfer payment from your US client.
There is no point talking to your clients about their bank. Their bank was to make the payment out.

The main second point I made, was to mail your client's head of department and accounts department to ask them to hold the payment until you have sorted out the problem with your bank.

I note that you have provided the info the US bank has asked for. But maybe your bank need another piece of information.

[Edited at 2017-10-28 18:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-10-28 19:58 GMT]

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

yes, that way is totally fine with me, if they used the account info I gave them and not did something on their own and mess details up. Then I blame them for lying to me in the first place and letting me wait day after day, for almost 4 weeks now.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 28, 2017

but I have no choice anyway but wait and hope. Unfortunately, I depend on my payments.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
FWIW Oct 31, 2017

Inez Ulrich wrote:

but I have no choice anyway but wait and hope. Unfortunately, I depend on my payments.

FWIW, the last time I worked for a US client I just asked them to send me a cheque (a check, in American English) which I then took to my bank, and paid it in. My bank took a commission, of course, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 16:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
open another account elsewhere Nov 1, 2017

It's obvious that your bank is not going to cooperate. I don't blame you for getting angry with them, but now that relations have soured, they certainly are not going to try to solve the problem for you--they never did anyway, so forget them. They are making you crazy so just stop dealing with them. There's no point continuing to bang your head against the wall they have put up. You have to do some deep breathing and start over on a different wave length and knocking on a different door. What's ... See more
It's obvious that your bank is not going to cooperate. I don't blame you for getting angry with them, but now that relations have soured, they certainly are not going to try to solve the problem for you--they never did anyway, so forget them. They are making you crazy so just stop dealing with them. There's no point continuing to bang your head against the wall they have put up. You have to do some deep breathing and start over on a different wave length and knocking on a different door. What's happened to you is deeply unfair and infuriating, but you won't ever solve the problem unless you get rid of the anger and think with ice-cold strategic rationality.

I agree with the advice given a couple weeks ago about finding a bank in Germany that you know ahead of time can deal with international payments, receive and convert dollars, and, if necessary, interact with the intermediary. There must be some German/English translator forums where you can ask people what banks they use successfully for German/US payments. Billions of dollars and euros between our two countries cross the Atlantic every day, so obviously some banks have it down pat. When you "interview" the bank, don't take up their time about all the details of how the first bank screwed up; just say you know not all banks know how to process ordinary international payments. You want to dangle your business in front of them coolly and calmly, hinting that you get a lot of international payments, and make them prove to you why they can handle your business needs. Find out if there are differences between a business and a personal account in terms of receiving international payments; it may be only one or the other. It is essential that you keep your cool and get them on your side.

Yes, you will have to wait a day for this account to open and start over again with getting payment sent. But at least you'll eventually get paid.

Please let us know the outcome. Good luck!
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was not angry with my bank, but with my client Nov 2, 2017

but I have received payment - finally! € 150,- fees for the US bank, € 12,- fees for the intermediary bank, € 10,- fees for my bank, even though the payment was sent in Euros. I hate banks, nothing but rip-offs.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Take Catherine's advice Nov 2, 2017

I'm glad to hear you were paid at last, even though the various sharks (aka banks) each took their bite.
I absolutely agree with Catherine Howard, and I suggested it here previously myself.
Open a new account with a bank thoroughly accustomed to international business. Deposit some money in the new account. When the new bank confirms that your new account is up and running, transfer all the funds from your account at Recalcitrant Bank to the new account at Sensible Bank.
When y
... See more
I'm glad to hear you were paid at last, even though the various sharks (aka banks) each took their bite.
I absolutely agree with Catherine Howard, and I suggested it here previously myself.
Open a new account with a bank thoroughly accustomed to international business. Deposit some money in the new account. When the new bank confirms that your new account is up and running, transfer all the funds from your account at Recalcitrant Bank to the new account at Sensible Bank.
When you are sure that the funds have reached Sensible Bank, close your account at Recalcitrant Bank (telling them why, if you like). Et voilà!
I realise that you'll have the hassle of changing your bank details with all your clients, but it will be worth it in the end.
Wishing you better fortune in future.
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for all your advice Nov 2, 2017

I'm already looking for a new account!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible task to get paid

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »