Thread poster: Helene Olsen Richards

Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 31, 2017

Hmm...how do you deal with a client not being upfront about the word count/full terms of a job and then say they need a file or files submitted to negotiate more time etc with the client...while you now are stuck not knowing if you are going to get paid at all?

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
German to English
Stop working immediately Oct 31, 2017

Helene1974 wrote:

Hmm...how do you deal with a client not being upfront about the word count/full terms of a job and then say they need a file or files submitted to negotiate more time etc with the client...while you now are stuck not knowing if you are going to get paid at all?

You appear to be working for an agency that is totally incompetent. The terms and conditions have to be negotiated up front by the agency with both you and their client. Either they underestimated the time the project would take or grossly misrepresented the word count to the end client. In any case, it seems as though the agency has breached its contract (oral or otherwise) with you, and you would be wise not to continue with this project until matters are clarified. You must communicate this to your client. Be polite, but firm.
Good luck!

Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chang Oct 31, 2017

Yes. I did indeed stop. They sent me an advance of 300 (only paying 0.06 per word to begin with), then all the changed occurred. I submitted the work I had done to date, deducted for the work done and refunded the rest. Then they raised a dispute with PayPal saying they wanted all of the deposit/payment back and I escalated the claim with all my evidence as I certainly am entitled to get paid for what I did. Amazing what we have to go through sometimes. Thanks for you reply.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A little... incompetent? Nov 5, 2017

Helene1974 wrote:

Yes. I did indeed stop. They sent me an advance of 300 (only paying 0.06 per word to begin with), then all the changed occurred. I submitted the work I had done to date, deducted for the work done and refunded the rest. Then they raised a dispute with PayPal saying they wanted all of the deposit/payment back and I escalated the claim with all my evidence as I certainly am entitled to get paid for what I did. Amazing what we have to go through sometimes. Thanks for you reply.

Stopping right then and there was a wise decision.

Since you did submit all you had translated until that moment, you are entitled to the equivalent payment. If the agency has a problem with that, and even tries to get their money back from PayPal (not from you, it seems), then...good luck. To them, that is. In fact, you could even sue them for breaching their agreement with you. (Though it's not worth it.)

Hopefully, you have ended that business relationship. It's (they are) not worth the hassle.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
French to English
Well done Nov 6, 2017

Well done for having the common sense and the courage to stop there and then. The absolute minimum was to pay you for the work actually done. The more honourable thing would have been to allow you to keep the deposit. The fact is that you had allowed time for that particular work and could well hve refused other offers to do so. Considering the mess they got themselves into, in stopping the work and getting some payment, you minimised the hassle and time you could have wasted otherwise. Well done.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change in terms mid-way through a project - client refuses to pay

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search