Thread poster: Ernie Ahmad

Ernie Ahmad  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 05:42
Member (2017)
English to Malay
+ ...
Nov 6, 2017

Hi, May i know what is the current rate(s) for Translation using Trados and what type of rates are there? I understand that there are different rates for New word, Fuzzy etc. Thank you!

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:42
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
rates don't change Nov 6, 2017

Rates remain the same; however, there are discounts for matches. The discounts are applied by the outsourcer and may differ from one outsourcer to another.

Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:42
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Set your own Trados discounts Nov 6, 2017

I think you ought to calculate for yourself what Trados discounts make sense for you and your language pairs.
In my experience most agencies ask me what discounts I give, and then we might negotiate about them. And remember not to accept no payment for repetitions, 100% and 101% matches, as you are most certainly going to check them as well. If an agency doesn’t want to pay for these, kindly ask the PM to remove or lock those segments.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Absolutely Nov 6, 2017

Vera Schoen wrote:

I think you ought to calculate for yourself what Trados discounts make sense for you and your language pairs....

If you are new to CAT tools and CAT discounts, you first need to learn about "fuzzy matching" and pricing calculations commonly performed when working with agencies. It is rather important since it will set how much you charge.

More on discount grids :
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/312739-suggestions_about_an_agency_fuzzy_grid.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/312245-we_get_paid_170_euros_but_we_pay_you_1650_euros.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/300700-agency_contracts_how_much_should_we_compromise.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/303752-question_about_reduced_rates_for_fuzzy_matches_with_cat.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/297449-what_is_the_average_percentage_discount_on_trados_matches.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/288337-what_are_"gross_words"_and_"net_words".html

Philippe

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
It is not up to the out-sourcer! Nov 7, 2017

We are professionals and we set our rates. If the client doesn't like them they go elsewhere.

In the vast majority of cases, fuzzies involve more work than the CAT tool might have you believe. A sentence may have a 75% match, but need a complete rewrite.

Even if you just need to change a couple of words (black car rather than green car for example), you have to check the entire sentence in both source and target, which takes time.

And that's only if the translation in the memory is decent, which it may not be. There's an agency whose TMs are so bad I had to say either I'll bill for the entire thing as if translating from scratch, or they find someone else. Thankfully for me (probably not for their client), they found someone else.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ernie Nov 7, 2017

Ernie Ahmad wrote:
May I know what is the current rate(s) for translation using Trados? I [also] understand that there are different rates for new words, fuzzy, etc.

Your base rate (i.e. "new words") should be higher than your usual translation rate, because using Trados requires additional effort and skill, and you're offering the client a product that he can't get from someone who doesn't have Trados.

If you can set your own rates:
* For 85-99% internal fuzzy matches: 1/3 of your base rate.
* For 85-99% external fuzzy matches, if you trust the client's TM: 1/3 of your base rate.
* For 85-99% external fuzzy matches, if you don't trust the client's TM: 2/3 of your base rate.
* For 100% matches and repetitions, if you trust the client's TM, and the client doesn't wants you to check it: between 0 and 1/10 of your base rate.
* For 100% matches and repetitions, if you trust the client's TM, and the client wants you to check it: 1/5 of your base rate.
* For 100% matches and repetitions, if you don't trust the client's TM, and the client wants you to check it: 1/3 of your base rate.

Usually, though, the client will send you a Trados analysis that looks different from this, and he won't be able to or won't know how to change the match categories to suit your scheme, so you'll end up accepting the client's match categories and percentages, and the only thing you would be able to control would be the base rate. So raise your base rate for Trados jobs.

Working out your ideal base rate can take some time, because you have to evaluate it against your usual translation speed. First, find out what is your usual translation speed. Then, when you get Trados jobs with discounts applied, keep track of how long it took you to do the translation, and then compare the time it actually took to the amount you were paid, to see if the time savings due to fuzzy matches are worth the amount of discount applied. If not (i.e. you're giving more discounts than you're saving time), raise your base rate.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It probably depends a lot on the language pair Nov 7, 2017

With a target language like English, with no grammatical gender or inflected adjectives, for instance, a lot of fuzzy matches are quite useful.

My source language is Danish, and although it does have grammatical gender, the adjectives do not change a lot, or if they do, they still give good fuzzy matches or 100% matches in English.

If you are translating from, say English to German, where the nouns may have different endings according to case and gender, and the adjectives change too, my guess is that a lot of fuzzy matches still have to be re-typed and checked, and some apparently 100% matches may not in fact be 100% either - I have never done this, but know a little German...

I wonder if English to Polish might be a challenge too! Where the structure of the source and target languages and how things are actually said are very different, even 100% matches may be unreliable.

So while I find it often makes sense to give discounts in my language pair, Danish to English, I can see why it might seem very unfair with other languages.

Of course, agencies may tell you that other translators give big discounts, but if the amount of work you have to do (with your languages) is not reduced by fuzzy matches, then you are perfectly entitled to say no, you will not give discounts, or only very small ones.

[Edited at 2017-11-08 10:27 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ah, the Voice of Reason, Texte Style ... Nov 7, 2017

++++
And that's only if the translation in the memory is decent, which it may not be. There's an agency whose TMs are so bad I had to say either I'll bill for the entire thing as if translating from scratch, or they find someone else. Thankfully for me (probably not for their client), they found someone else.
++++

Yes, where DID that translation memory come from? Likely as not it's a smelly pair of yellowish IT underpants used by many, many people before you, and you don't know what kind of infections it has. Who would jump at that kind of bargain? Of course it's an advantage to you if you're simply using the uncontaminated TM you used last time, but how many people have (ab)used it since? The fact that the TM it containz wurds doez'nt mean the wurds they has is purfect. Why should your pay be docked because of insane crappy previous translations you have nothing to do with, for God's sake?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates if using Trados

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search