How much to charge for a book translation?
Thread poster: irueda2

irueda2  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2017

I am new to literary translating, and I am was wondering if there is some way of finding out how much publishers should pay for a book translation. The book is 30 chapters (about 240 pages). And I feel like I'm getting underpaid, but I don't know how to find out. Since it's my first book, and they're a small publisher, and I'm doing it freelance, I'm ok with getting underpaid. Just this ONCE. But I'd kind of like to have any idea how much to charge next time. Any help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:20
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rates vary Nov 13, 2017

The rates for literary translations are not the highest, especially when the customer is a private individual or a small publishing company. A benefit is the 3-stage-payment since it gives you money upfront, halfway through the project, and upon its compoletion.

Usually they pay a flat rate for the entire book. You can only insist on appearing on the cover/ the second page as the translator. Sometimes you can negotiate royalties.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for a book translation?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search