Offensive offers from a company that apparently is a winner of industry excellence award
Thread poster: Miroslawa Jodlowiec

Miroslawa Jodlowiec  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:25
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 5

I don't know if many of you have received the same email from a company that apparently is a winner of industry excellence award and has received some other prestigious awards, too. I am writing in such vague terms about this company, as I understand we are not suppose to disclose companies or agencies' names here? Please, correct me, if I am wrong.

Well, to cut the long story short, I am contacted by someone from a company and offered a job. What is it? A quote from their email 'There’s no translation involved just a verification if the line was recorded with the correct text.'.

Now, this is all fine, so far. I hope that you are sitting whilst reading it. Wait til you hear this: 'Our working rate for jobs like this is £8 per hour.'

I wrote back to them with inquiries about the fee. The answer I received was 'Thanks for the reply. The price is £8 per hour, I could possibly set it at £10, but no higher than this.' What a joke!?

I must say, I have never been insulted more in my life by an offer from a company that apparently is prestigious and worth working for. Have you received an email from the same company?

All the best,

Miroslawa

Direct link Reply with quote

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
to be or not to be, just to seem Jan 5

Miroslawa, how the fact that ANY company can pay both high-fliers and bottom-feeders? It's ok.

#1 Who exactly, when, and why thought the company seems to be a hallmark of excellence?

#2 Sometimes even respected companies do cheap outsource and seek for subcontractors from the Third World countries (Remember the 'max profits for min costs'?)

#3 t's just an offer, take it easy

On the other hand, some representatives contacted me by mistake with lowbottom offers, because they thought my name was from India or...

SusieSmith
United Kingdom
I would not be offended Jan 6

Just tell them your rate and leave it at that. Don't waste any further time or energy on them.

As professional service providers, we need to remain in tune with the market, know what our services are worth and charge accordingly.

Do not let yourself be bullied or upset by the big industry players who always try to bully the smaller businesses in the name of higher profits. At the end of the day, they NEED talented "vendors" or whatever they like to call us. Just stand your ground - if we all do this they will have nowhere else to turn. Of course, they will never stop pushing for lower fees ... that's just what happens in any business.

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:25
French to English
+ ...
Awards Jan 8

I tend to be a little sceptical of companies in any sector, not just translation, which trumpet the fact that they have won industry awards. It doesn't necessarily mean they're better than their rivals; it may simply mean that they made more effort in getting their associates/customers etc. to vote for them, or that they go out of their way to enter for every award going, or that they know people in the right places and on the right committees! Awards can be an excellent badge of credibility for a company that may not be able to garner respectability any other way, but it's always worth thinking about who gives out these awards and how, and whether the awards really reward excellence or something else.

Another thing that people tend to associate with reliability - wrongly in my view - is company size. I've read plenty of posts from translators who seem surprised that a large company would engage in questionable practices. In my experience, the bigger a company is, the more wary you have to be as big companies often adopt aggressive or penny-pinching business models that are more focused on squeezing money out of suppliers than on anything else.

My conclusion: we can't make assumptions based on the supposed reputation or size of a company. It's how they behave in practice that matters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offensive offers from a company that apparently is a winner of industry excellence award

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search