Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 8

Agencies seem to think we want more work for less money. Don't they get it that everyone wants less work for more money?

One agency asked for my CV last month saying they had a big project coming (railway technology for a multi-billion Euro company). I sent them the file and my word rate. A week later they came back, saying the project was not yet coming but they needed my non-disclosure agreement. I sent them the scanned file.
Today they addressed me again, talking once more about the big project, which would mean considerable additional work for me, but that they need to negotiate my rate.

I informed them that my rate is not negotiable. And that I don't need more work, but less.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:30
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A slightly twisted world Jan 8

Unfortunately, there are some agencies that believe translators are working just for the fun of translating. That they have no bills to pay, no mouths to feed.

It's almost funny that they mentioned a multi-billion company, yet want to "feed" you peanuts.

In an ideal world they might get away with it because translators could afford to work for...peanuts. But the business world is far from "ideal". They probably will find someone to translate their files/documents almost for free. (Sigh)

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
They exactly know what they do :) Jan 8

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Agencies seem to think we want more work for less money. Don't they get it that everyone wants less work for more money?

Hi Heinrich,

These agencies get it, they exactly know what they are doing.
They try to test translators, like a child who tests parents: testing the limits, how far they can go?
These agencies' "dream aim": they want you to work for free (or they want you to pay that they send you jobs lol). Because sooner or later the rates they offer will be so low.

Only translators can change that.
You did the right thing: Speak your mind and write them what you think.icon_smile.gif

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-01-08 18:13 GMT]

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
The problem is that some translators are willing to accept anything Jan 8

Only translators can change that.
You did the right thing: Speak your mind and write them what you think.icon_smile.gif

Bests,
Katalin

And here I am not referring to translators that have just started out and don't know any better but seasoned translators. I pity them as it is neither beneficial to them nor for all of us!

[Edited at 2018-01-08 21:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-08 21:02 GMT]

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best rate Jan 8

This goes in line with the “best rate” concept.

After quoting for a project, I often receive emails such as: “What is your best rate?” I am always tempted to answer: “Just put 50% on top of the rate I quoted”.

Now, to the point, it is indeed difficult to explain to some LSPs that we would be “better off” giving them a large discount for a small project than a small discount for a large project. We only have 8-10 hours a day to go.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not more please. less!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search