Roughly, what would be a reasonable range for rates?
Thread poster: Franjo Varšić

Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Jan 18

What would be a reasonable range in EUR for per word rates for translating and proofreading respectively?

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:50
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

ProZ average rates Jan 18

https://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

Franjo Varšić
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 19

Appreciate it. Any place I might find out proofreading rates, again, medical translation (EnglisCroatian)?

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
And remember that the average is probably not too high Jan 19

The Proz.com average rates only show one rate for many languages, regardless of the subject area.
I assume this is because there are not enough statistics to divide meaningfully into subgroups.
In theory you should set your own rates, but it is often a matter of agreeing (or not) to a rate proposed by the client. Always try to negotiate if the rate is lower than you think reasonable.

I accept quite a large range of rates. This week I have turned out 8000 words at my absolute minimum rate, but at high speed - they were newspaper articles, not very demanding. So the amount earned per hour was quite reasonable.

Other weeks I might spend three times as long on 8000 words of medical records... and need to check everything. Medical records are often sent in a format where I cannot use my CAT, so I push the rate up as far as possible for those.

If you have to spend time researching for terminology etc. don't forget to allow for that when setting your rate. The same applies if you have to spend a lot of time rephrasing and making the translation sound idiomatic in the target language.

If you accept a rate that is below the average, ask yourself why!

[Edited at 2018-01-19 10:53 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I couldn't sum it better Jan 19

Christine has said it all!

And especially: " If you accept a rate that is below the average, ask yourself why!" Although she also accepted [ 8000 words at my absolute minimum rate]. There might be times you feel like taking a job (and/or need to) at an absolutely low rate. But do remember that it has to be puntual. Otherwise, you will be stuck in this range of rate.
Good luck!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Franjo Jan 19

Franjo Varšić wrote:
What would be a reasonable range in EUR for per word rates for translating and proofreading respectively?

To answer this question, we need to know at least: what are your source and target languages, where do you live, and where do your clients live?

Franjo Varšić
Croatia
TOPIC STARTER
Medical, Croatian English Jan 25

I should say, this question relates to medical translation. SOmeone asked about the language pair, it's CroatianEnglish, the agency is, as best I can tell, English.

Christine Andersen wrote:

The Proz.com average rates only show one rate for many languages, regardless of the subject area.
I assume this is because there are not enough statistics to divide meaningfully into subgroups.
In theory you should set your own rates, but it is often a matter of agreeing (or not) to a rate proposed by the client. Always try to negotiate if the rate is lower than you think reasonable.

I accept quite a large range of rates. This week I have turned out 8000 words at my absolute minimum rate, but at high speed - they were newspaper articles, not very demanding. So the amount earned per hour was quite reasonable.

Other weeks I might spend three times as long on 8000 words of medical records... and need to check everything. Medical records are often sent in a format where I cannot use my CAT, so I push the rate up as far as possible for those.

If you have to spend time researching for terminology etc. don't forget to allow for that when setting your rate. The same applies if you have to spend a lot of time rephrasing and making the translation sound idiomatic in the target language.

If you accept a rate that is below the average, ask yourself why!

[Edited at 2018-01-19 10:53 GMT]

You say I need to set my own rate, but my problem is I'm so new to this I don't even know what a reasonable ball park is. That's why I was talking in terms of a range, rather than a specific price. What would be an EUR price for medical translation for a language like Croatian (you probably don't know about Croatian prices, but maybe some language of similar size).

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A few more details Jan 26

The average standard rate reported on this site for Croatian to English is € 0.09 (Minimum € 0.06) per word.
The same rates are reported for English to Croatian, as far as I can see regardless of which subject field you choose.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:50
Member (2008)
French to English
Different rate scales Jan 26

In addition to the comments by others, I find it makes a huge difference who the client is. I have essentially three rate scales, one for general agencies (close to the Proz.com average), one for direct end clients, where there is no agency involved (close to double my agency rate), and a lower rate for when I am competitively bidding on easy work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Roughly, what would be a reasonable range for rates?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search