Thread poster: Terry Richards
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Posting the "P" badge forum url is useless for non-peed people Feb 5, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Josephine Cassar wrote:

When people have work, they do not have time to bother about Kudoz and far less about answering questions themselves, ...

Hi Josephine,

It's interesting what you are writing. Actually recently I read the below post of "Mair A-W (PhD)" and I agree with him:

https://www.proz.com/forum/certified_pro_network/319795-a_new_"best_match"_option_for_sorting_directory_results_is_being_explored-page3.html#2708216

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-02-05 14:25 GMT]

The Certified Pro Network is a closed club for members only. We ordinary/lesser mortals only see this when we click:
Something went wrong...
Topic or forum data not visible or not found.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 21:09
German to English
+ ...
kudoz Feb 5, 2018

writeaway wrote:

The Certified Pro Network is a closed club for members only. We ordinary/lesser mortals only see this when we click:
Something went wrong...
Topic or forum data not visible or not found.

I had just said that I am more likely to answer questions when I'm sitting at my computer, and I'm generally sitting at my computer when I'm working, and escaping from it when I'm not -- so I answer more questions at times when I'm also busy with work. Obviously, for some people being busy with work has the opposite effect ...

Rowena Fuller (X)
Rowena Fuller (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to English
@writeaway seriously considering selling up and moving to a desert island Feb 5, 2018

Not much scope for survival skills in France ... just hope this breaks and normality kicks back in - maybe people will realise the atrocious level of cheapskate MT translation, but then maybe they won't as linguistic standards are also in free-fall. I had a translation (wine) rejected because I used the word apogee, which my client (champagne house agent in London) declared 'woz a word wot dusnt exist' unquote - I despair!

Rowena Fuller (X)
Rowena Fuller (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to English
@Chris S Feb 5, 2018

I do so hope you are right - this is a bit scary!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
THAT is really scary!! Feb 5, 2018

Rowsie wrote:

Not much scope for survival skills in France ... just hope this breaks and normality kicks back in - maybe people will realise the atrocious level of cheapskate MT translation, but then maybe they won't as linguistic standards are also in free-fall. I had a translation (wine) rejected because I used the word apogee, which my client (champagne house agent in London) declared 'woz a word wot dusnt exist' unquote - I despair!

So the dumbing-down continues. I realise that being able to read, write, spell and think all at the same time is no longer viewed as necessary in any field, including (or especially?) translation. Shame on you for having an education. What kind of agency would allow a person of that high-level of intelligence decide on what is right or wrong anyway? Truly scary implications imo.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good one, Rowsie!!! Feb 5, 2018

"On the bright side the school holidays are coming up, which usually opens the floodgates as it seems all translator mums stop for the duration ...

But the Upper Sixth/Lower Sixth/Lower Sixth Remove are moving into pre-employment employment ...

[Edited at 2018-02-05 18:51 GMT]

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
forums Feb 6, 2018

Mair A-W (PhD) wrote:

I had just said that I am more likely to answer questions when I'm sitting at my computer, and I'm generally sitting at my computer when I'm working, and escaping from it when I'm not -- so I answer more questions at times when I'm also busy with work. Obviously, for some people being busy with work has the opposite effect ...

Rowsie wrote:
When I am really busy (which I usually am) I rarely pop up to answer KudoZ questions, but when I'm fed up, bored and can't find anything else to do other than housework (eek!) I do browse through and answer when I can ... so yes the number of KudoZ answers, in my case anyway, is a pretty good indicator that the work flow has dried up!

er, I wonder if the same is true of forum posts: if most of the people answering KudoZ questions are those not busy with work, is it also true that most of the people who come down to respond in this forum will also be those not busy with work, while those having a great month won't be hanging out on ProZ -- so this thread is inevitably going to be mostly sort-of self-confirming?

[Edited at 2018-02-06 07:55 GMT]

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Observation Feb 6, 2018

I live and work in France, so my comments only apply to what I have observed here over the past year or so. I have noticed a rise in the number of job adverts for salaried positions in the French into English pair. I have seen these adverts for translation jobs in companies (even smallish ones), the public sector (a university), and translation agencies. Some are willing to consider distance working, while others are clear that the translator must work on site. I even applied (unsuccessfully) fo... See more
I live and work in France, so my comments only apply to what I have observed here over the past year or so. I have noticed a rise in the number of job adverts for salaried positions in the French into English pair. I have seen these adverts for translation jobs in companies (even smallish ones), the public sector (a university), and translation agencies. Some are willing to consider distance working, while others are clear that the translator must work on site. I even applied (unsuccessfully) for a couple of these jobs myself. In these particular cases, the posts were newly created. It was clear that the client wanted to regain control over their translations rather than take a gamble with unknown translation agencies. This could explain a little of what is going on.
For my part, however, 2017 and early 2018 have been much better in terms of freelancing than 2016, which was my worst year ever. We all have our own ups and downs.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Size ... Feb 6, 2018

... might be important. Mair A-W is more or less right, I think, saying that forum posters may be less busy. I certainly wonder sometimes about the length and frequency of some posts! However, I reckon a lot of us simply want to write something that's ours, rather than the daily round of meaningless blaargh concocted by overpaid consultants with the word "synergy" in every paragraph, peppered with mysterious acronyms and buzzwords coined a few days previously and known to perhaps a dozen people ... See more
... might be important. Mair A-W is more or less right, I think, saying that forum posters may be less busy. I certainly wonder sometimes about the length and frequency of some posts! However, I reckon a lot of us simply want to write something that's ours, rather than the daily round of meaningless blaargh concocted by overpaid consultants with the word "synergy" in every paragraph, peppered with mysterious acronyms and buzzwords coined a few days previously and known to perhaps a dozen people on the planet. I write a story here mainly for that reason, but I'm not out to waste my working time, and just do a bit of it every so often. And the forums are the same thing, really - a quick post on the forum can simply be a short welcome break from someone droning on about their wide range of top-quality products and services.

Right. Back to that wide range ...
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Mair A-W Feb 6, 2018

You may have a point there. OTOH, that doesn't explain the drop in Kudoz questions.

My responses are on preview which is making it difficult to maintain a conversation - some of my posts aren't approved for a day or more and then appear on a previous page (based on the post time rather than the approval time).

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:09
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Partecipation... Feb 6, 2018

I know for sure that some colleagues reserve some time every day to "meddling", as I call it... i.e. writing on social media/fora to establish a presence/being recognised possibly in order to create allegiances and ultimately being chosen as a safe pair of hands namely, for referrals... it's an old strategy now, but many people still think that, if you are omnipre... See more
I know for sure that some colleagues reserve some time every day to "meddling", as I call it... i.e. writing on social media/fora to establish a presence/being recognised possibly in order to create allegiances and ultimately being chosen as a safe pair of hands namely, for referrals... it's an old strategy now, but many people still think that, if you are omnipresent, you will be remembered when that colleague with god-like status and commanding stratospherical rates all of a sudden needs that slippery, stealthy Croatian>Tibetan translator...Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's going on in FR->EN?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »