How much to charge for literary translation English to German
Thread poster: Andrea Millar
Andrea Millar
Andrea Millar
United Kingdom
English to German
Apr 5, 2018

Hi

I've been offered the opportunity to translate a novel from English (US) into German. I am completely new to freelancing and literary translation (I have previously worked for a translation agency) so I have absolutely no idea how much to charge. The novel has about 220 pages and the print is quite small (51 lines per page, 60 characters per line).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:41
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Usually a flat rate Apr 8, 2018

First you need to split up the pages into standard pages that meet the norm, which is about 1.800 characters per page, or 50 - 55 char. per line (30 lines in a 12 pt. fond).

The fee you can charge depends on the delivery deadline and the topic (romance vs. Sci Fi/aeronautics). Usually you negotiate a flat rate with which both of you are comfortable, considering also any rights to the translated novel. You need to have time to attend to your other customers' projects. Make sure that
... See more
First you need to split up the pages into standard pages that meet the norm, which is about 1.800 characters per page, or 50 - 55 char. per line (30 lines in a 12 pt. fond).

The fee you can charge depends on the delivery deadline and the topic (romance vs. Sci Fi/aeronautics). Usually you negotiate a flat rate with which both of you are comfortable, considering also any rights to the translated novel. You need to have time to attend to your other customers' projects. Make sure that your name as the translator appears either on the cover or page 3 or 4.

Your price also depends on whether it's a publisher or a private individual.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for literary translation English to German

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »