Thread poster: Michele Cannon

Michele Cannon
United States
New user
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 5

Hello all,

I have been offered TV content transcription work, in English, for $1.50 per minute of running time (content time). I haven't done paid transcription work before, just translation. I assume this is a low rate, but I am curious exactly how low and if I could possibly negotiate for more. Any information from others who do this kind of work would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Very low Apr 6

Well, you can compare this rate with a translation rate of 0.01 (any currency) per word. I just refused a subtitle translation offer paying USD 2.00/audio minute because such a rate wouldn't even pay a fraction of a day's rent for my tiny office area. And transcription takes much longer than "mere" (no disrespect intended) translation. So the rate should be much higher. And you need to take the preparation time as well as any fees PayPal or your bank might deduct.

[Edited at 2018-04-06 17:11 GMT]

Michele Cannon
United States
New user
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to clarify Apr 6

Thank you for the response. This rate is just for transcription, no subtitling or translation. The agency said that in the case of subtitling the rate would be higher. However, they didn't specify how much higher.

Oleksandr Vasyliev  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:52
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
I doubt it's worh the time spent Apr 7

Thayenga wrote:

And transcription takes much longer than "mere" (no disrespect intended) translation. So the rate should be much higher.

Transcription is considered as less qualified job and as such it is paid less. Usually rate for transcription is at best 70% of rate for translation per minute. That is why I personally never take such jobs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fair rate for TV content transcription, English

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search