Rate per no-match word
Thread poster: abiggers

abiggers
Local time: 05:19
English to French
May 20, 2005

Hi all,

I am a new translator.
I received a job offer for the translation of 3500 words.
The company is offering me 3 cents less per word than my published rate. They also specified that I would only be paid for no-match words.
What do you suggest I do?

Thank you,

Amal

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:19
German to English
+ ...
Start negotiating... May 20, 2005

CAT rates have probably been dealt with many times, so I would suggesting searching the forums.

Them wanting to pay you three cents less than your published rates seems like normal negotiating to me (unless your rates are already low - I haven't checked). If you don't like the idea, then negotiate a better rate with them or not - then you probably won't get the assignment.

As far as them only wanting to pay for non-matches, this seems completely out of line. It's not like you don't have to do anything if there are matches - you still have to make sure that it is correct.

Something like the following scheme for CAT-rates seems fair to me(though individual agencies may differ slightly):

100% match - 30% of my normal word/line price
85% - 99%: 50% of my normal price
70% - 84%: 75% of my normal price
below 70%: 100% of my normal price

I myself would refuse to do the translation on the terms you describe. On the other hand, you say that you are new to the business, so poorly paid work may be better than no work at all...

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-05-20 15:45]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
There are various calculations May 20, 2005

Hi! but what Gill said was right. I charge for new words 125% of the base price.
Rgds,
Brandis

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yield a little but not entirely... May 20, 2005

Yes, negotiate, but make sure you are the one in charge. Do not give in entirely... Remember that if they send you further jobs it will be on the same terms.
As someone said "You are the seller. They are the buyers". If they cannot come up with what you think you are worth and with a fair proposition, just drop it. You will get other jobs on the terms you can accept.
Et pour terminer, rappelez-vous, très prosaïquement, que vous défendez votre "bifteck".

Bon courage!

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pass it up May 20, 2005

Hi:
Any agency that wants to pay only for no matches is not worth working for. Most agencies realize that fuzzy matches must be paid for and that 100% matches must be checked for context.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ideal conditions - very rare! May 20, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

CAT rates have probably been dealt with many times, so I would suggesting searching the forums.

Them wanting to pay you three cents less than your published rates seems like normal negotiating to me (unless your rates are already low - I haven't checked). If you don't like the idea, then negotiate a better rate with them or not - then you probably won't get the assignment.

As far as them only wanting to pay for non-matches, this seems completely out of line. It's not like you don't have to do anything if there are matches - you still have to make sure that it is correct.

Something like the following scheme for CAT-rates seems fair to me(though individual agencies may differ slightly):

Please note that the percentages stated above apply to ideal conditions, where the "heritage", i.e. the memory that the translation is matched against, is of good quality.
In my experience, this is mostly not the case. I often have to rewrite 70 to 99 % matches and 100 % matches completely.

Klas

abiggers
Local time: 05:19
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback May 21, 2005

Thank you for your feedback and useful advice. I am negotiating with the company along the lines discussed here.

Amal

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes, ideal conditions are rare (but do exist). May 21, 2005

Klas Törnquist wrote:

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Please note that the percentages stated above apply to ideal conditions, where the "heritage", i.e. the memory that the translation is matched against, is of good quality.
In my experience, this is mostly not the case. I often have to rewrite 70 to 99 % matches and 100 % matches completely.

Klas

Klas may be right. If that were the case, i.e. the TM is not useful, I'd only do ONE translation at those rates and then have ammunition for negotiating.

Luckily, I just did a big project with a great TM, so the rates seemed fair to me - in fact, the agency I did it for always sends great TMs; otherwise, we use straight rates (price/word).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate per no-match word

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search