Translation for Dubbing - Rates per minute?
Thread poster: RHay

RHay
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
Jun 8

Hello, does anyone know if there are minimum rates per minute or what the standard rate per minute should be? The client refuses to pay per word count and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode, but I would like to know what everyone else thinks before I challenge those rates. Thanks so much.
PS: Language is US-En to German.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rate dumping Jun 11

RHay wrote:
...and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode...

Well, USD 2.50 is much too low for this type of labor intensive work. Triple that amount, and you could start working on the projects.

mughwI

RHay
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much. Jun 11

Thayenga wrote:

RHay wrote:
...and pays a rate of USD 2.50 per minute runtime. There are a lot of short episodes of 11 minutes each, I end up with USD 33.00 per episode. This seems quite low for me, I spend about 3 hours per episode...

Well, USD 2.50 is much too low for this type of labor intensive work. Triple that amount, and you could start working on the projects.

Jiaying Ma
Australia
Local time: 00:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
One way to figure out the rate Jun 12

You can calculate how much you get paid hourly if it's a translation job, and apply same hourly rate to the episode. If you need 3 hours to finish one episode, then 3 x your hourly rate, and then calculate the rate per minute by dividing the number by the total minutes of the episode.

Phoenix III

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:34
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
My pleasure Jun 13

icon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation for Dubbing - Rates per minute?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search