Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:32
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 31

Hello,

can you tell me how you deal with such issues? I issued an invoice which clearly states the invoice date, and the agency says they pay 30 days from date of reception (which was about 5 days later, because of the weekend, coffe break, being late at work, whatevericon_evil.gif). Now, 5 days later isn't the problem, but the attitude of this agency. Not only do I need to constantly insist on them confirming reception of my emails, deliveries etc., they also are very reluctant answering my emails which makes it very hard communicating with them.

So, in order to get this settled once and for all: invoice date or date of reception?

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Invoice date Jul 31

But date of receipt will be the same thanks to the modern wonder that is email!

Sounds like an agency to ditch. The best ones pay early.

Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 31

they told me invoice date was the 7th which was a Saturday and they received it on a Monday, blabla...and whenever there are such things to discuss they call instead of writing, for a good reason. I insisted on them confirming payment date on the 9th this month as I need sth in written form. I won't work for them again anyway and hope they will pay at all.icon_evil.gif

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"Payment due date" as a solution? Jul 31

Inez Ulrich wrote:
So, in order to get this settled once and for all: invoice date or date of reception?

Certainly within the EU, and I would presume the world over, the reason you put the date on the invoice is to make said invoice an official document with an official purpose: to enable you to get paid in a timely manner! Just because the receiving party doesn't check their inbox for several weeks doesn't mean the payment is not due! That would be ridiculous.

Mind you, after having similar experience in the past, I now make a habit of invoicing on a working day (the last one of the month for most of my invoices). That's at my end, of course as I can't know exactly when all my clients' public holidays etc fall. I also take the precaution of displaying, as clearly as I can, the actual latest date that the payment is due. Get out of that, client icon_smile.gif!

Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sheila! Jul 31

Yes, that is exactly, what I have done. Now they confirmed that the payment will be done on the 9th/10th, but 30 days from the 9th of July is not the 9th or 10th. As usual, I haven#t receive an answer to my email.

Tomorrow I will call and write and pester them again.

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to French
+ ...
My first reaction Jul 31

Chris S wrote:

Sounds like an agency to ditch. The best ones pay early.

Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 31

they owe me about € 800

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It depends on the wording Jul 31

Inez Ulrich wrote:

It depends on how it is worded, but even then I'd add 5-7 days float just to be sure. You must be in dire straits if 7 days make a difference.

Suppose an agency agrees to pay within 24 hours... would you assume they mean 24 hours after you've printed the invoice or 24 hours after they've downloaded the attachment from your mail? And what if it was a posted invoice that arrived more than 24 hours after you sent it -- would you then have considered them late payers? (-:

Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not what I was talking about Jul 31

Samuel Murray wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

It depends on how it is worded, but even then I'd add 5-7 days float just to be sure. You must be in dire straits if 7 days make a difference.

Suppose an agency agrees to pay within 24 hours... would you assume they mean 24 hours after you've printed the invoice or 24 hours after they've downloaded the attachment from your mail? And what if it was a posted invoice that arrived more than 24 hours after you sent it -- would you then have considered them late payers? (-:

It was worded correctly, trust me. Thank God I'm not in dire straits, but I also cannot afford losing 800 euros or always accept late payment. They are trying to buy time, even if it is only a few days. As I always say, I have to deliver in time, they have to pay in time. It's that easy. Why should the translator be the one that always has to wait?

To answer your question: yes, I'd expect payment within 24 hours. otherwise we wouldn't have to bother at all with deadlines, right?

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Invoice date Jul 31

Inez Ulrich wrote:

It was worded correctly, trust me. Thank God I'm not in dire straits, but I also cannot afford losing 800 euros or always accept late payment. They are trying to buy time, even if it is only a few days. As I always say, I have to deliver in time, they have to pay in time. It's that easy. Why should the translator be the one that always has to wait?

To answer your question: yes, I'd expect payment within 24 hours. otherwise we wouldn't have to bother at all with deadlines, right?

Both the invoice date as well as the due date "count". I assume you're sending it in an email. If there's no Mailer Demon, then it has been received.

But what is more important is that you have set a date when you expect to be paid. If the client doesn't object, well, then s/he has to pay.

After all, we're translators, not banks. In fact, if we were banks, then the client would be facing a hefty loan or overdrawn fee.icon_wink.gif

Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Invoice date Aug 1

Even if from time to time I prepare my invoices during the weekend I always issue and send my invoices on a working day. Unless things with this client went sour because of some other reasons I can’t understand all this fuss because of a two days difference. In my book some flexibility goes a long way…

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rod of iron or a bendy twig.... Aug 1

I've responded to this type of query several times before, and I always say the same thing. Having lived and worked in Spain for decades now, I came to realise long ago that the due date on my invoices is merely wishful thinking on my part, and that my Spanish clients will pay when they are good and ready, i.e. when they able to. It's not worth getting your knickers in a twist about. As the tourist blurb used to say "Spain is different"…

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:32
Member (2008)
French to English
Not just Spain Aug 1

In general business, 45 days from delivery of the goods is often considered normal. Personally, I'm not too concerned if a client pays within that period, whatever the invoice date. Most clients have a set procedure and as long as it is reasonable and consistent I'm okay with it.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not just Spain or Southern European countries Aug 1

There are good payers and bad payers everywhere not just in Spain or in what was once referred derogatorily as PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain) or PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain). Fortunately as the financial crisis seems to be in its final stages these horrible acronyms are no longer in use. From my side payment terms range from the day after receiving my invoice until 45/60 days. As long as it has been agreed beforehand I've no problem with it.

Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How about your delivery deadline? Aug 2

[quote]neilmac wrote:

I've responded to this type of query several times before, and I always say the same thing. Having lived and worked in Spain for decades now, I came to realise long ago that the due date on my invoices is merely wishful thinking on my part, and that my Spanish clients will pay when they are good and ready, i.e. when they able to. quote]

How about you delivering your translation? Are you also given the time to deliver when you can and when you are good?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which one counts - Invoice date or date of reception of invoice

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search