Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Not a single job in the whole year - normal?
Thread poster: Batichtchev

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Perceptions are key Aug 11

Batichtchev wrote:
May I respectfully ask about YOUR professional record and credentials? Would be interesting to compare.

Batichtchev, that is a reasonable question. It is all in my profile. You may google my name for evidence that I am who I say I am.

My argument is not that I am more qualified than you, because I simply do not know what your qualifications are. Your profile tells me nothing about you.

My argument is that one cannot enter this market from another industry and expect to rest on the laurels won in that previous career. I was no superstar, but I had a long and respectable career in international finance. Since becoming a freelance translator I have had to fight for every client. It has not been easy. It has not, demonstrably, been easy for you either.

What I will say is that I have done a better job of demonstrating how my previous career is relevant to my current career. There is no reason why you should not be able to do the same, if you make the effort. But, as argued in my previous post, you cannot expect clients to flock to you without giving them a compelling reason to do so. "I worked for the UN" is not in itself a compelling reason.

Regards,
Dan


Kevin Fulton
JaneD
Jean Chao
Natasha Ziada
Andy Watkinson
Oleksandr Ivanov
Morano El-Kholy
 

Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
Russian to English
Competition Aug 11

Batichtchev wrote:

"For example, I personally do not see the connection between "Automotive / Cars & Trucks" and the UN. How did you get this experience? "
From working many years as a translator in a large auto industry enterprise before RTS. And at the same time from having my own car repair and export business. Sounds not good enough?

Same applies to sports/fitness - before some1 asks.


But which of the fields you say you specialize in do relate to your time at the UN? Your CV says you've worked in loads of different areas - proper specializations too, not just Business/Commerce (general) or General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters or Certificates, Diplomas, Licenses, CVs, which frankly anyone and their dog on here can claim to specialize in and certainly don't require 25 years at an international organization to do. To be fair, for some areas in which you've worked I'm not sure what specialization you'd pick, but there are a few on the list that you could choose.

About specific jobs. You say you've replied to 20 or 30 job offers on here. I don't think that's a lot, even if it might seem a lot to you. I wouldn't be surprised either if you were actually overqualified for a lot of them. I'd be interested to know how much you're charging too, given that the prices charged by most agencies, let alone individuals, in Russia for translation into Russian fall far, far short of what most people in the West would consider reasonable.

[Edited at 2018-08-11 20:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-11 21:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-11 21:12 GMT]


Kevin Fulton
 

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There isn't really much more to say, is there? Aug 11

We clearly aren't getting through to the OP. I don't really see how most of his comments are relevant to anything, not being one of the "5 cent brigade" which he clearly assumes us all to be. If he's too good for us, he doesn't have to join our "club" of freelance translating, after all. No skin off my nose icon_frown.gif .

Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Josephine Cassar
JaneD
sam@fr-uk
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
 

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 08:38
Member (2016)
English to German
Troll Aug 11

I smell a troll somewhere here. Don't feed it.

Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan
Matthias Brombach
Tom in London
sam@fr-uk
neilmac
Vanda Nissen
 

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not necessarily blight Aug 12

Frankly, I still meet elderly and biased persons who stiffly refrain from learning something new and using, say, computers, tablets, CATs, the internet, and other things. In some cases this could be a clever and healthy choice too, providing it's really worth it, without prejudice. It seems they like to differ.

Yet I'm also a little confused whether the initial point was (1) but a rhetorical question, (2) about recouping of some $100 worth capital investment in ProZ, (3) promoting skills, or (4) self-esteem, let alone a flat joke/adverse publicity.

Perhaps, Alexey sincerely believes he could easily do without modern trends and requirements. Why, he may be safely happy as a volunteer, a mentor, or a consultant, not to mention a hobby.


 

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Or maybe... Aug 12

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:
I smell a troll somewhere here. Don't feed it.

...the original post was intended to be a biting satire on newcomers to the industry, but it was so subtle that we all took it to be serious, rather than a brilliant piece of social commentary?

Dan


JaneD
Josephine Cassar
Jean Chao
Oleksandr Ivanov
Morano El-Kholy
 

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
French to English
A starting point Aug 12

Dan Lucas wrote:

... demonstrating how my previous career is relevant to my current career.


Absolutely. You need to show that you know what your client is talking about, which means showing that you know what you are talking about too. It's a highly relevant starting point.

[Edited at 2018-08-12 18:42 GMT]


Kevin Fulton
 

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
French to English
Maybe this Aug 12

Batichtchev wrote:
What services did it provide to me specifically? I never mind to pay. But I expect to get something in return. Am I wrong?


You get something out if you put something in. Payment gives access to a number of services I don't get access to because I have chosen not to pay. However, I invest time and energy in contributing to KudoZ and the forums. Without ever having obtained a job via the JobZ section which was non-paying at one point, I have however obtained a great deal from what I have put in. For example, I have acquired technical knowledge and helpful hints in observing how others work. I have gained contacts with people who work in similar fields and I have been recommended by other contributors. Just a couple of examples.

[Edited at 2018-08-12 21:22 GMT]


Ricardo Suin
Viviane Marx
Batichtchev
Morano El-Kholy
 

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
French to English
. Aug 12

.

[Edited at 2018-08-12 18:41 GMT]


 

Batichtchev
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2017)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Down to 1 cent/word Aug 12

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Batichtchev wrote:

"For example, I personally do not see the connection between "Automotive / Cars & Trucks" and the UN. How did you get this experience? "
From working many years as a translator in a large auto industry enterprise before RTS. And at the same time from having my own car repair and export business. Sounds not good enough?

Same applies to sports/fitness - before some1 asks.


But which of the fields you say you specialize in do relate to your time at the UN? Your CV says you've worked in loads of different areas - proper specializations too, not just Business/Commerce (general) or General / Conversation / Greetings / Letters or Certificates, Diplomas, Licenses, CVs, which frankly anyone and their dog on here can claim to specialize in and certainly don't require 25 years at an international organization to do. To be fair, for some areas in which you've worked I'm not sure what specialization you'd pick, but there are a few on the list that you could choose.

About specific jobs. You say you've replied to 20 or 30 job offers on here. I don't think that's a lot, even if it might seem a lot to you. I wouldn't be surprised either if you were actually overqualified for a lot of them. I'd be interested to know how much you're charging too, given that the prices charged by most agencies, let alone individuals, in Russia for translation into Russian fall far, far short of what most people in the West would consider reasonable.

[Edited at 2018-08-11 20:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-11 21:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-11 21:12 GMT]


"I'd be interested to know how much you're charging too"
I had no idea how much to charge. So as a wild guess I put it 10 cents/word.
After about 6 month of the total silence I got intrigued. And just as an experiment replied to "job offers" with rates like 9,8,7,6 a finally 5 cents/word. With the same result.
Finally one "job poster" offered me something like 1 cent/word. It was the offer I could not refuse of course. Being impressed with the generosity of the "job poster" I accepted it. And had about three days of fun. It was about five months ago. No "payment for services" so far.
I gladly write down these "$30" as my donation for the well-being of these respectable people.
So, technically, I had one job during this year. Cannot complain.


 

Batichtchev
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2017)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Impressive Aug 12

Dan Lucas wrote:

Batichtchev wrote:
May I respectfully ask about YOUR professional record and credentials? Would be interesting to compare.

Batichtchev, that is a reasonable question. It is all in my profile. You may google my name for evidence that I am who I say I am.

My argument is not that I am more qualified than you, because I simply do not know what your qualifications are. Your profile tells me nothing about you.

My argument is that one cannot enter this market from another industry and expect to rest on the laurels won in that previous career. I was no superstar, but I had a long and respectable career in international finance. Since becoming a freelance translator I have had to fight for every client. It has not been easy. It has not, demonstrably, been easy for you either.

What I will say is that I have done a better job of demonstrating how my previous career is relevant to my current career. There is no reason why you should not be able to do the same, if you make the effort. But, as argued in my previous post, you cannot expect clients to flock to you without giving them a compelling reason to do so. "I worked for the UN" is not in itself a compelling reason.

Regards,
Dan


I do not want to make any secret of my professional record either.
A substantial time working under the direct supervision of a person considered to be the Soviet/Russian Translator number One - ASG Viktor Sukhodrev. Who was the personal translator to three Soviet/ Russian Presidents - Nikita Khrushchev, Leonid Brezhnev, Mikhail Gorbachev.
Another long term assignment - working as personal translator to the President of the UN General Assembly Stoyan Ganev.
Personal translation to the President of the U.S.A. George H.W. Bush - after his speech at the UN.
Not to mention close to 40 000 pages of the official documents of the highest international level- to be read by Heads of States and Foreign Ministers among others.
Absolutely no secret at all.
I understand it is not probably enough to compete for 4 cents/word jobs on the ProZ. But still something. Hopefully.


 

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
French to English
@Batichtchev Aug 13

You worked under the direction of a person who was personal translator to three Soviet presidents.
You have worked as personal translator to the President of the UN General Assembly.
You have done personal translation for Bush.
You have done some 40,000 pages of official documents for Heads of State and Foreign Ministers.

With all due respect, "So what?" That still provides no information about the subject matters in which you are proficient. You know that and it really looks like you are just playing.

I'm outta here.

[Edited at 2018-08-13 02:15 GMT]


 

Batichtchev
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2017)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Aug 13

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

You worked under the direction of a person who was personal translator to three Soviet presidents.
You have worked as personal translator to the President of the UN General Assembly.
You have done personal translation for Bush.
You have done some 40,000 pages of official documents for Heads of State and Foreign Ministers.

With all due respect, "So what?" That still provides no information about the subject matters in which you are proficient. You know that and it really looks like you are just playing.

I'm outta here.

[Edited at 2018-08-13 02:15 GMT]


Exactly, Nikki! Exactly. No information at all. Some irrelevant BS. 2.5 cents/word.
I agree 100%. So, "Nothing".
Best of luck!


 

Batichtchev
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2017)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mr. Hui ! Aug 13

DZiW wrote:

Alexey, as (1) a retired (2) in-house specialist [ant. "freelancer"] without recent (3) marketing, (4) communication, and (5) self-employment skills, being (6) blind to modern trends and (7) deaf to colleagues, *IF* you really about to freelance, it's strongly recommended to prepare a worthy presentation and get in touch with your ex-coworkers and clients regarding some contacts, tips, and references.

I think the colleagues have already tried to wise you up, but you want neither to listen, nor to lean anything, what brings us back to the question: IF you can afford living at least a year without translation, THEN why the fuss?

No complaints? Then instead of lamenting over everything you seem can't grasp yourself, how about a consulting biz or combining your language skills with something new*?


P.S. Please, quote only the needed parts, without over-quoting.


Thank you, Mr. Hui !
A wonderful piece of advice. I will consider in depth. I promise. I will begin to lean. And I will combine my language skills with something new*.


 

Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
Russian to English
The market Aug 13

Batichtchev wrote:
I had no idea how much to charge. So as a wild guess I put it 10 cents/word.
After about 6 month of the total silence I got intrigued. And just as an experiment replied to "job offers" with rates like 9,8,7,6 a finally 5 cents/word. With the same result.
Finally one "job poster" offered me something like 1 cent/word.


What others have been saying about marketing yourself is right. (Imagine a restaurant with a big sign saying 'Est. 1970', photos all over the walls of famous people who've eaten there, the most comfortable seats, and so on... but no menu. Wouldn't get many customers, would it?) But, actually, what you've written above is a major reason for your lack of success. Search online and you'll find shedloads of agencies charging 500 rubles or less for a standard page of translation from English into Russian. That's about 2 rubles a word, or 3 cents. That's the kind of thing you're up against. In Moscow, there are loads of full-time translation jobs paying under 100,000 rubles a month. In fact, I've just searched for full-time translation jobs in Russia on one of the country's biggest job portals, and of those where the salary is stated, more than half pay under 60,000 rubles a month.


 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not a single job in the whole year - normal?

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search