https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/32821-do_you_get_any_kind_of_notice_when_payment_is_made.html

Do you get any kind of notice when payment is made?
Thread poster: Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 29, 2005

Good evening fellow translators,
I just have a simple question for you. We all know that some clients pay right after job completion, some pay within a month, two, maybe three, and some other clients never pay at all, my question is before receiving payments do you usually get a notice (an email) from the client confirming that the payment has been made? or do you always have to check with your bank everyday to see if the transfer has arrived or to check your mail box to see if the check i
... See more
Good evening fellow translators,
I just have a simple question for you. We all know that some clients pay right after job completion, some pay within a month, two, maybe three, and some other clients never pay at all, my question is before receiving payments do you usually get a notice (an email) from the client confirming that the payment has been made? or do you always have to check with your bank everyday to see if the transfer has arrived or to check your mail box to see if the check is there? or even to check with the client himself?
Thanks.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some send a confirmation... May 29, 2005

...but thanks to online banking, I usually see the credit entry before the payment advice arrives...

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:08
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mostly never May 29, 2005

PayPal sends an e-mail when they receive a payment for you, otherwise I check online my bank account and contact the client when a reasonnable delay has passed. Then you can discover surprises like money sent to another account or forgotten payment. But you can't complain too early.

As an occasional outsourcer I always tell the translators when I sent to my bank the order to make the payment and they usually confirm reception.

Claudia

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Bank sends SMS message May 29, 2005

My Italian bank automatically sends me a text message when a payment is made into my account. I can then check the online banking page to get further details. This system seems to work very well.

Cheers,

Giles

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bankgiro May 29, 2005

I only receive notification of payment when it's via bankgiro; bank transfers I only find out about when I check my account. Most of my clients pay via bankgiro (within Sweden), so that works just fine.

The only time clients have actually told me that they've paid my bill is when I've had to send out reminders.

[Edited at 2005-05-29 18:51]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very variable May 30, 2005

and may depend on configurations and organizations.

Some clients notify the issuance of a cheque or bank transfer. Paypal will notify any receipt of funds, not necessarily mentioning where it came from (unless the sender leaves a message). Some sending banks have on-line forms permitting the payor to notify you simultaneously. And some receiving (or paying) banks have the SMS notification option.

But it's still pretty much up to the client. Note that the PMs of some of
... See more
and may depend on configurations and organizations.

Some clients notify the issuance of a cheque or bank transfer. Paypal will notify any receipt of funds, not necessarily mentioning where it came from (unless the sender leaves a message). Some sending banks have on-line forms permitting the payor to notify you simultaneously. And some receiving (or paying) banks have the SMS notification option.

But it's still pretty much up to the client. Note that the PMs of some of the bigger companies may not even know when an invoice is liquidated (accounting is another department, or outsourced). In any event, a month-long interval is normal unless you have agreed otherwise.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you get any kind of notice when payment is made?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »