Afrikaans Rates
Thread poster: Thewordtree

Thewordtree
South Africa
Local time: 01:17
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 26, 2018

I'm a native Afrikaans speaker living in the UK and am 100% bilingual, having done translations for the last ten years. Can I have a rough idea of what I should quote for rates? I don't do mass translations with Trados with fuzzy words, only complete projects. Lately, I have been favouring proofreading to translations. I don't want to quote too little as I now work from home full time, and was wondering if I can get an idea of what other people charge for English-Afrikaans or Afrikaans Engli... See more
I'm a native Afrikaans speaker living in the UK and am 100% bilingual, having done translations for the last ten years. Can I have a rough idea of what I should quote for rates? I don't do mass translations with Trados with fuzzy words, only complete projects. Lately, I have been favouring proofreading to translations. I don't want to quote too little as I now work from home full time, and was wondering if I can get an idea of what other people charge for English-Afrikaans or Afrikaans English translations and proofreading jobs? Tia.Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:17
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Double standard? Sep 27, 2018

Thewordtree wrote:

I'm a native Afrikaans speaker living in the UK and am 100% bilingual, having done translations for the last ten years. Can I have a rough idea of what I should quote for rates? I don't do mass translations with Trados with fuzzy words, only complete projects. Lately, I have been favouring proofreading to translations. I don't want to quote too little as I now work from home full time, and was wondering if I can get an idea of what other people charge for English-Afrikaans or Afrikaans English translations and proofreading jobs? Tia.

I have no idea on translation of Afrikaans but I visited South Africa and met with a risky incidence. As a tourist I feel that SA is a double - standard country, that is, for example a public transport fee is most badly expensive or too amazingly cheap (with certain risks).
I suggest that you quote with your standard rate: Afrikaans service seekers can pay very high price.

Soonthon L.

Natasha Ziada  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Rates calculator Sep 27, 2018

Hi Thewordtree,

There are two areas here on Proz that might be of use to you:

The Community Rates page, which will give you the average rates provided by other translators in your language pair (for proofreading I would suggest looking at the hourly rate)
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?so
... See more
Hi Thewordtree,

There are two areas here on Proz that might be of use to you:

The Community Rates page, which will give you the average rates provided by other translators in your language pair (for proofreading I would suggest looking at the hourly rate)
https://search.proz.com/employers/rates?source_lang=eng&target_lang=afr&disc_spec_id=¤cy=usd&submit=Submit

And the Rate Calculator, which will help you determine the rates you should ask to make a (comfortable) living
https://www.proz.com/translator-rates-calculator/

(I'm not entirely sure what you mean by mass translations vs. complete projects by the way - do you mean you don't provide CAT tool discounts?)
Collapse

Thewordtree

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tia Sep 27, 2018

Thewordtree wrote:
Can I have a rough idea of what I should quote for rates?

For English-Afrikaans, the per-word market rates are: India USD 0.06, Egypt USD 0.07, the Balkans USD 0.08, Western Europe USD 0.09, the USA USD 0.10, and Central Europe USD 0.11.

Lately, I have been favouring proofreading to translations.

Consider joining PEG: https://www.editors.org.za/
(they also have a mailing list where English-Afrikaans editors chat)

Thewordtree

Thewordtree
South Africa
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 28, 2018

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll quote 0.10 with a little leeway.

Can anyone here help me to quote for transcription or subtitling. What is a good rate to charge per minute? Tia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Afrikaans Rates

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »