Project Management Fee
Thread poster: Kim Carlson Tadenuma

Kim Carlson Tadenuma  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2018

How much are typical Project Management fees per hour?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
French to English
Simple question, but I don't understand it Oct 2, 2018

Hello,

Your question seems straightforward enough, but I don't actually understand what you mean.

Is a client asking you to do some translation project management?
Have you been charged project management fees by a client?

I'm not sure I'd have an answer in either case, but I suspect I might not be alone in understanding what you are getting at.
All I could suggest right now would be to say consider an hourly rate for you language pair, for the
... See more
Hello,

Your question seems straightforward enough, but I don't actually understand what you mean.

Is a client asking you to do some translation project management?
Have you been charged project management fees by a client?

I'm not sure I'd have an answer in either case, but I suspect I might not be alone in understanding what you are getting at.
All I could suggest right now would be to say consider an hourly rate for you language pair, for the place where you are based and consider the complexity of what "management" is to involve in your particular case.

Hope this kickstarts some answers for you.
Collapse

Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
asking me to do PM Oct 6, 2018

thanks for your reply- a company wants to hire me to do PM for a translation project

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
hierarchy vs initiative Oct 6, 2018

Usually it goes like this:
Sales manager finds a client ==> Account manager negotiates a contract ==> HR manager assigns a team ==> PM assigns and monitors the tasks to the team; the finished translation goes to Account manager, who closes the deal with Financial manager.

They require "a decent translator" with:
- Leadership;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Discernment of character;
- Self-discipline;
- Analytical skills;
- Pro
... See more
Usually it goes like this:
Sales manager finds a client ==> Account manager negotiates a contract ==> HR manager assigns a team ==> PM assigns and monitors the tasks to the team; the finished translation goes to Account manager, who closes the deal with Financial manager.

They require "a decent translator" with:
- Leadership;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Discernment of character;
- Self-discipline;
- Analytical skills;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Psychological stability
... and many other features and skills enough to set up an OWN business.

A friend of mine was working in the GB as a Junior PM in a translation company. First, she had to and pass a PMBOK-related course to approve, assign, and manage Translation, QA/Editor, Tech Support, CRM, and Law Dept., and did a lot of collateral stuff almost non-stop, no fixed ours. Indeed, theory is not practice.

In spite of rosy prospects, she was constantly risking to appear a scapegoat--by default (even when the fault obviously was a poor translator assigned by HR or a client who changed her mind), and for a year she got just about £35K, which was a little higher than a Lead/Senior Translator, who usually has *much less* duties and responsibilities!

So far, IF you already know the ropes and you think it's worth it, THEN do a local research and just ask a little more than you expect to get)
Collapse

Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 6, 2018

thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Management Fee

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search