https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/32929-price_of_translating_powerpoint_files.html

Price of translating Powerpoint files
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:30
French to English
Jun 1, 2005

Powerpoint files take me longer to translate than Word files as they require more attention to presentation and layout. Also language is always more concise in Powerpoint files for obvious reasons. Is there a standard mark-up for .ppt files in relation to.doc files?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Price per slide Jun 1, 2005

On a number of occasions I was paid a price per slide. The price was roughly 1/4 of my normal rate per standard page of text.
IMO this reasonably reflected the tediousness of doing the translation (for reasons you mention, as well as the mechanics of jumping in and out of textboxes etc.) opposed to the relatively small amount of actual text on each slide.
Then again, I once had to translate a PP presentation which quoted massive chunks of regulations on each slide in size 12 font...<
... See more
On a number of occasions I was paid a price per slide. The price was roughly 1/4 of my normal rate per standard page of text.
IMO this reasonably reflected the tediousness of doing the translation (for reasons you mention, as well as the mechanics of jumping in and out of textboxes etc.) opposed to the relatively small amount of actual text on each slide.
Then again, I once had to translate a PP presentation which quoted massive chunks of regulations on each slide in size 12 font...
This does not answer your question directly. It's just another solution.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
More... Jun 1, 2005

Bonjour Nicholas,

Désolée d'écrire en français, mais cela va plus vite pour moi et comme vous le comprenez...

Je prends environ 10 % de plus par rapport à mon tarif habituel. Je traduis directement avec SDLX où je fais les corrections grammaticales et orthographiques.

J'ouvre ensuite ma traduction et refignolge la mise en page. C'est une question d'habitude. Je deviens de plus en plus rapide.

Geneviève:)

Surtees
Surtees
Spanish to English
+ ...
Price per slide Jun 1, 2005

I normally charge between 6 and 7 euros per slide, but no charge for slides with minimal text, e.g. the title of the section.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
10-20% Jun 2, 2005

Nicholas Stedman wrote:

Powerpoint files take me longer to translate than Word files as they require more attention to presentation and layout. Also language is always more concise in Powerpoint files for obvious reasons. Is there a standard mark-up for .ppt files in relation to.doc files?

I charge at least 10% extra, maybe even 20%

Apart from the more complex format, there is often a lack of contextual info that makes PPT an especially complex transalytion task-.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price of translating Powerpoint files

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »