UK client did not pay - recommended debt collector?
Thread poster: Silke Schuetze

Silke Schuetze  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:33
Member (2011)
English to German
Oct 10, 2018

Hi,
a UK agency owes me money for 1 invoice and does not react or answer.
I am looking for recommendations for collection agencies - many only handle bigger sums. Can anyone recommend (from their own experience) a debt collector that also handles smaller sums like 150 Euros? I wouldn't pay up-front, but I am willing to pay a percentage of the invoice sum as a fee after success. I am based in Germany.
Thanks!

[Bearbeitet am 2018-10-10 21:11 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Terrible Blue Board record Oct 10, 2018

With a good debt recovery agency you should recover the whole amount owed to you + interest + the cost of the recovery agency.

I that that the agency you mention has a terrible BlueBoard record. By now, it seems to me, there is sufficient evidence to get them banned from Proz.com. One suggestion: contact Proz via the BlueBoard and get them removed.

I would also suggest that you contact the agency concerned and inform them about this thread. They probably won't reply bu
... See more
With a good debt recovery agency you should recover the whole amount owed to you + interest + the cost of the recovery agency.

I that that the agency you mention has a terrible BlueBoard record. By now, it seems to me, there is sufficient evidence to get them banned from Proz.com. One suggestion: contact Proz via the BlueBoard and get them removed.

I would also suggest that you contact the agency concerned and inform them about this thread. They probably won't reply but they will know you are on their case and that you intend to get paid.

Do not be dissuaded from this. Just decide, coldly and rationally, that getting this invoice paid is one of the tasks you have to do, until you've done it.

The amount of money doesn't matter; it's the principle that matters. We can't have crooks like this infesting our profession. Let's get them out.

Now I'm off to do a bit of Google-hunting to see what I can find out about that agency, who's behind it, where they live, etc.
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Teresa Borges
missdutch
Jo Macdonald

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Swansea Oct 10, 2018

They are in Swansea (Wales). Go to Google Earth and search for their name. You'll see that the building is the same building that appears in the "happy photograph" on their website.

Look for a debt collection in Swansea. There's a list here:

https://www.bark.com/en/gb/services/debt-recovery/swansea/

A local debt collector is best because th
... See more
They are in Swansea (Wales). Go to Google Earth and search for their name. You'll see that the building is the same building that appears in the "happy photograph" on their website.

Look for a debt collection in Swansea. There's a list here:

https://www.bark.com/en/gb/services/debt-recovery/swansea/

A local debt collector is best because they can actually go to the agency's premises and ask them what is going on.

[Edited at 2018-10-10 10:09 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And here is their company data.... Oct 10, 2018

...including the names and addresses of the key people

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08951669

Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tom! Oct 10, 2018

Thanks a lot - they are already banned, and I am still looking for recommendations for debt collectors that Proz members actually used personally to collect small sums. I did some web research and I know where they are based etc., but I am looking for personal experiences with recommended collector agencies. I am thankful for more tips from other members! Thanks

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
105.2% Oct 10, 2018

They have a debt ratio of 105.2%!!! A debt ratio greater than 100% means that they have more debt than assets. They can't pay anyone. Yet they seem to have enough money to pay the rent for their waterfront office.

They should not even be in business, but they seem to be carrying on happily.

But now that we know exactly who the people are, and where they live.....

I hope someone in Swansea, or at least in Wales, may be able to help you further !

Screen Shot

[Edited at 2018-10-10 10:27 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
On the subject of naming Oct 10, 2018

You are not generally allowed to name names on the forum. The details can be discussed, as can solutions, but there should be nothing to enable the agency to be identified. Ooops.
You might have the thread removed, so it'd be a good idea to edit out anything that can ID the agency.

Tom in London

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Non-payers and names Oct 10, 2018

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

You are not generally allowed to name names on the forum. The details can be discussed, as can solutions, but there should be nothing to enable the agency to be identified. Ooops.
You might have the thread removed, so it'd be a good idea to edit out anything that can ID the agency.

It should be actually a good thing to discuss non-paying agencies freely and in public.
Because the problem is not only that translators accept jobs from these agencies but clients have no clue about these shameful business practices. So they keep these businesses busy.

[Edited at 2018-10-10 13:14 GMT]

Tom in London
Iris Schmerda
missdutch
Teresa Borges
Slobodan Kozarčić
Jo Macdonald
Axelle Hawkins

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree- Oct 10, 2018

- especially in the case of agencies that are banned from posting jobs on Proz, as in this case.

Teresa Borges

Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for alerting me - but why? Oct 10, 2018

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this "rule" and changed my post.
However - this agency is discussed with their name on the Blueboard, they are already banned - so why shouldn't we warn each other openly in the forums?
I don't quite understand this "rule", but I took the name out of my post.
If anybody still can recommend debt collectors, you can send me a private message - or can we name companies in a positive context when we recommend them?...
See more
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this "rule" and changed my post.
However - this agency is discussed with their name on the Blueboard, they are already banned - so why shouldn't we warn each other openly in the forums?
I don't quite understand this "rule", but I took the name out of my post.
If anybody still can recommend debt collectors, you can send me a private message - or can we name companies in a positive context when we recommend them?
Collapse

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
oronyms Oct 10, 2018

Nothing personal, just biz:

1) the Proz staff doesn't want to lose even allegedly bad yet paying client (income);
2) they just don't want to get into possible court examinations and litigation, rejecting the responsibility;
3) they avoid taking anyone's side, discouraging some others;
because they can)

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Silke, look at the BB record Oct 11, 2018

Someone posted just a few days ago this on the agency's BB:
"Payment received only after engaging debt collection agency."
If I were you, I would contact this member directly and ask which agency he used.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Teresa Borges
Thao Tran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK client did not pay - recommended debt collector?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search