Major LSP payment process: all payments made AFTER invoice due date
Thread poster: Andrei Sommer

Andrei Sommer  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:09
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2018

I realised recently that a major LSP I've been working with for many years has made it its official practice to pay invoices AFTER their due date. I should add that standard payment term is 60 days, but that can be negotiated down, as I eventually found out. I'm not sure if the issue has come up before in these forums, and I don't know if I can mention their name, but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with a large (still public?) LSP.

[Edited at 2018-11-28 23:04 GMT]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:09
English to French
What did you expect? Nov 29, 2018

It's a "major LSP".

Philippe

Teresa Borges

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It doesn't surprise me in the least Nov 29, 2018

Andrei Sommer wrote:
I realised recently that a major LSP I've been working with for many years has made it its official practice to pay invoices AFTER their due date. I should add that standard payment term is 60 days

I sacked all those dreadful "major" LSPs a long while ago. Early experiences were all awful. I only ever had one positive experience with an enormous one and that company eventually got to squeezing so much (truly fascinating) work out of me for so little reward that I reluctantly had to fire them. The HR departments of the others were often as far as I got, as they expected me to sign multi-page and lop-sided contracts, spend time doing totally irrelevant tests, and fill in lengthy forms, all the while refusing to actually confirm they had work at my rates and on my conditions (or at least ones I could work with). Nowadays, if I get contacted by a company that I don't recognise as "one of them", I'm quick to react to that sort of nonsense and shout "STOP!".

There are plenty of boutique agencies around, and direct clients, who are happy to work with translators on the basis of a business partnership, with everyone putting their various skills to work to produce a great result, and each party respecting the other.

Miranda Drew
Christophe Delaunay
Philippe Etienne
Jan Truper
Jean-Yves Préault
Philip Lees
Jo Macdonald

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Entirely normal Nov 29, 2018

It is entirely normal for large companies of all kinds to pay after the due date.

Paying before the due date is considered poor cash management.

As long as it's not extreme, it's not worth worrying about. The interest you're losing is negligible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Major LSP payment process: all payments made AFTER invoice due date

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search