Spandrel Translations (Martin Gil) do not pay my invoice 2,5 years now! Please help
Thread poster: Nuri Razi

Nuri Razi  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:56
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 4

Dear Colleagues,

There is a company called Spandrel Translations with a web site http://www.spndrl.net/contact.html

And this company has Manager Martin Gil.

I have worked with Martin Gil before and he used to pay my inovices via paypal 300 USD each time, not the whole but anyway he paid.

But once he came up with a new project in amount of 2170 USD in total and he has not paid that amount 2,5 years now. I have emailed tons of times and called him tons of times but he does not answer. What can I do to get my payment? I do not know whether this company is established in USA or Brazil. Please help and maybe you have encountered this company before.

Nuri Razi
EN Turkish translator

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
French to English
Naming Dec 4

You may find that your post is edited or removed as you cannot name names here, except for scams.

Recovering a sum of money that you are owed 2 and a half years later is very problematic. You say that you are not certain where the client is based. The company you name has offices in a number of countries. As a rule, you should know which office you are dealing with in order to send the work and the invoice. If you are uncertain on those points, how can you be certain that the work was received and/or that the invoice was received? It will certainly make recovery of any money due very difficult. To claim money is owed to you, you have to be able to prove that work was ordered, that you supplied it and that you invoiced the work. I am not confident that you can prove that without having basic information such as the client's address.

Secondly, as you have waited such a long time, the client, even if he has acted in bad faith, he may be entitled to believe that you no longer wanted to claim your money anyway.

What solutions do you have? Apart from need to demonstrate what I've pointed out above, you need to know which law applies. Two and a half years later, there should be interest for late payment. However, realistically, if the situation is that you don't know where the person is based, you have next to no chance of recovering your money. It is also likely to cost a fortune to even try to recover it.

What you can do is note that in similar situations, by the time the overdue payment can be counted in months and not weeks, you should already be talking about action for recovery, interest and penalties.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Google says: Dec 4

Company Name Spandrel LLC
Contact Person Mr Martin Gil
Address 3501 Silverside Rd, Wilmington, Delaware
Country UNITED STATES
Telephone 1646 2169270

Good luck

Yolanda Broad

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:56
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh dear, Nuri Dec 4

Nuri Razi wrote:
I do not know whether this company is established in USA or Brazil.

You have really given yourself a huge headache by not finding that out before you invoiced the company. It will make any sort of legal action very difficult indeed. It's always a good idea to state on the invoice the company's registered address, even if you actually send it by email.

But once he came up with a new project in amount of 2170 USD in total and he has not paid that amount 2,5 years now.

As Nikki says, you've left it very, very late. Escalation needs to start within a couple of months, not years.

Now that you've been provided with the likely address, you can re-send the invoice the old-fashioned way, by registered post and accompanied by a letter using the wording of a final demand (Google for samples). Ask your post office to send you proof of delivery (NB this will take some time) as this will help in any recovery proceedings. If you still don't receive payment, maybe you can find a debt recovery company in the client's locality that will accept the job. Unfortunately, it isn't going to be as straightforward as it should be, so if the recovery agents work on the basis of being paid a percentage of the sum they collect they may not be too enthusiastic.

I know it won't help this time, but in the future you would be well-advised to get all the necessary information from a client before doing any work at all for them, and then manage any late-payment issues promptly.

Good luck!

Nuri Razi  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:56
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the suggestions and opinions, I really appreciate them Dec 4

Thank you for the suggestions and opinions, I really appreciate them, I will read them in detail as soon as possible and take into account for this problem and for the future.

Nuri Razi

P.S. I would really appreciate if you share with me if some other considerations come into your mind, really thanks for your time, the "precious metal" of all times!

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
English to French
+ ...
that is a Delaware Corporation (no surprise here) Dec 4

FWIW, there is a Delaware corporation named Spandrel LLC, which was incorporated on September 23, 2005.

The appropriate search can be done by using this link: https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/Ecorp/EntitySearch/NameSearch.aspx

That same search lists 4 other Delaware corporations with "Spandrel" in their names.

Nothing very useful, anyway, since the Registering Agent is not likely to be of much help. And, don't forget that "LL" in "LLC" stands for "Limited Liability."

Delaware is similar to Lichtenstein, insofar as the Registering Agent hides actual ownership.

FWIW, (646) numbers are NYC-area cell phones; (606) area codes belong to eastern Kentucky, aka Appalachia; interestingly, the (606) number appears to be a land line in Lexington, KY. The French phone number is not a publicly-listed land line. The very sparse company web site does not inspire much confidence, either.

Correction, the (606) number is a "Non-Fixed VoIP (e.g. Skype or Google Voice)" number in Beattyville, KY, according to Whitepages.com: https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-606-981-1212.
I'll leave everyone to their own conclusions.

Me, I'd classify this under "Live and Learn." But that is just me.

[Edited at 2018-12-04 21:11 GMT]

bigedsenior
Local time: 07:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
More info Dec 7

Here is some additional information with a different phone number.

Spandrell is not much of a business. Sales are less than $30,000/year.

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Spandrel-LLC-646-233-4111

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spandrel Translations (Martin Gil) do not pay my invoice 2,5 years now! Please help

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search