Less expensive way to pay in Europe than bank transfers costing 15-30 Euros?
Thread poster: George Runde
George Runde
George Runde
Norway
Local time: 19:45
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2005

Hello,
I work for a US company that localizes much of its literature, currently 4 European languages, spending $500k per year. It seems that we pay 15-30 Euros every time we pay someone, even the smaller jobs that can range from E50-1000.
Does anyone know of a payment service, mode of payment or simply a solution that works? I am grateful for all responses. We prefer to transfer money directly into the translator's bank account, but then again, I am not even sure this is the way t
... See more
Hello,
I work for a US company that localizes much of its literature, currently 4 European languages, spending $500k per year. It seems that we pay 15-30 Euros every time we pay someone, even the smaller jobs that can range from E50-1000.
Does anyone know of a payment service, mode of payment or simply a solution that works? I am grateful for all responses. We prefer to transfer money directly into the translator's bank account, but then again, I am not even sure this is the way the translator prefers to get paid.

Thanks,
George

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-06 20:12]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:45
English to German
+ ...
Get an online bank account in Europe Jun 6, 2005

Hi George,
Bank account transfers are among the most commonly-used forms of payment in Europe - that's because standard cross-border transfers in euros are pretty cost-effective; in some countries, they're free. (Search the forum for "standard cross-border euro" to find some previous discussions on this topic.)

What you will need is an online account with a European bank; opening one will be the difficult (but not impossible) part of it. (You may want to check with some of the
... See more
Hi George,
Bank account transfers are among the most commonly-used forms of payment in Europe - that's because standard cross-border transfers in euros are pretty cost-effective; in some countries, they're free. (Search the forum for "standard cross-border euro" to find some previous discussions on this topic.)

What you will need is an online account with a European bank; opening one will be the difficult (but not impossible) part of it. (You may want to check with some of the US banks that are also active across Europe - or contact the US presence of a European bank.) Once that's done, you will need to transfer a lump sum, converting it from US dollars to euros - after that, you'll be able to instruct payments online.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
You can try Moneybookers or Paypal. Jun 7, 2005

Paypal does not work in Poland fore example. Check their site.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Jun 7, 2005

Paypal is used by most American translation agencies I work for, at least as an option (i.e. if you ask for it). And those that don't use Paypal www.paypal.com (transfer or e-check at low rates on both sides)pay me by normal American check ( and I pay the fees), or charge the fees if I prefer to receive a bank transfer...

Regards,

Patricia

FullCircle (X)
FullCircle (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Can be cheap within Europe Jun 7, 2005

I totally agree with Ralf. For payments under 12,500 euros, banks will charge you nothing or just a little bit if you use electronic banking. At least, in the Netherlands. I've been receiving payments from Germany and France without any charges and my payments to the UK don't cost me anything as well.

Just look for a local representative of a European bank (or an American one that provides a full range of services; very often they don't offer payment services) and they should be ab
... See more
I totally agree with Ralf. For payments under 12,500 euros, banks will charge you nothing or just a little bit if you use electronic banking. At least, in the Netherlands. I've been receiving payments from Germany and France without any charges and my payments to the UK don't cost me anything as well.

Just look for a local representative of a European bank (or an American one that provides a full range of services; very often they don't offer payment services) and they should be able to help you set up an account.

Good luck!
Marion
Collapse

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
moneybookers.com Jun 7, 2005

Hi

A couple of agencies pay me regularly through Moneybookers, and it works great for both sides.

Best regards,

Patricia

cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Moneybookers is the best Jun 7, 2005

Moneybookers is the best for Europe, as I have heard. A very small fee and very secure.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Depends... Jun 8, 2005

George Runde wrote:
We prefer to transfer money directly into the translator's bank account,

Hi George,

it depends on which country your translators live in. If it is within the Euro-zone and you are transfering money from your online Euro-account, only the fee for domestic transfers is to be applied (well, there are still some banks which have not heard of this yet...) but if you transfer it to an Euro-account outside of this zone (for example all the newbies in EU) you will be charged quite heavily. It's sad but still reality: EU is not the same as Euro-zone!

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Less expensive way to pay in Europe than bank transfers costing 15-30 Euros?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »