Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Heavy Dec 19, 2018

I started Step 1 of my gradually escalating getting-heavy process today. They claimed they were in "chaos" due to Christmas. I replied that I was in chaos due to not having been paid. Soon afterwords the boss emailed me to say I would be paid today. Then they sent me another translation job (probably the equivalent of sending me chocolate). Fortunately I don't need to escalate.

[Edited at 2018-12-19 16:57 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:50
Member (2016)
English to German
... Dec 19, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

I started Step 1 of my gradually escalating getting-heavy process today.

Hopefully you will indeed receive the money.

Now you got me interested in your "gradually escalating getting-heavy process"... what does Step 1 consist of, mailing the purchase receipt of a baseball bat?

Josephine Cassar
Iris Schmerda
Viviane Marx
Tomasz Sienicki

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I don't understand your question Dec 19, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Don't worry Chris; I know how to force people to pay me and it has never failed me (yet). It doesn't involve the small claims court. It's quite a heavy method, so before I press the red button I want to be sure there isn't some explanation (e.g. CEO suddenly kicked the bucket and they're all sobbing into their handkerchiefs; major electricity outage; earthquake; etc.)

Your questions aren't making sense, Tom. You've said on various forums over the years that you know how to get people to pay you. What's the problem this time? Without knowing who the company is, how can we know why you aren't being paid?

As for other peoples' experiences... some have been paid, some have not.
What's the real point of this thread?

Josephine Cassar
Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Because Dec 19, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

What's the problem this time?

Thanks for telling me that you didn't understand my question, but that wasn't very helpful. I'm asking these questions because although yes, I have ways of getting paid, I'm not so arrogant as to think that I know it all; and in fact there have been many informative and helpful replies. My thanks to those who took the time to give them. For me, this topic is now closed.

[Edited at 2018-12-19 22:12 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mine Dec 19, 2018

Jan Truper wrote:
... what does Step 1 consist of, mailing the purchase receipt of a baseball bat?

No.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
We've shared so... Dec 20, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:
... what does Step 1 consist of, mailing the purchase receipt of a baseball bat?

No.

... why don't you share?

Axel Dittmer
Josephine Cassar

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The real point of this thread Dec 20, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
What's the real point of this thread?

I believe the purpose of this thread to obtain commiseration from colleagues in a virtual world. That is why I suggested using the WIWO channel instead. Rhetorical questions on a forum that is usually used for getting actual answers to questions can be confusing to those who do not understand the real purpose of the post. We've all been in similar situations, and reaching out can help one cope. £5000 is not smallchange.

Dan Lucas

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Typical situation Dec 20, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

If anything like this has ever happened to you, I'd be interested to hear how it worked out.

It happened several times.

The first time (many years ago) I stayed with the client for a while though constantly dealing with delays, excuses, etc. At the turn of the year I changed my conditions, never heard from them again.

After that, I just don't accept jobs anymore until I get paid in full, then I immediately switch to advanced payment.

This happens once every 1 or 2 years. Usually (but not always) they disappear when I give them the new conditions. Good, time to move on - nothing is forever.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
I seem to remember Dec 20, 2018

Dear Tom,
I sincerely hope and trust you do get paid but I seem to remember that you use this site to send a message to your client or agency as you know they will have a look at the forum topics and posts. I guess this is a step that precedes the unmentionable step 1.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Long-term previously reliable client suddenly stops paying

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »