Thread poster: Ethan Parry

Ethan Parry
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jan 22

Hi all,

I am a current student studying an MA in Translation Studies. I have just been asked to provide my 'best quote based on USD per English words' for a potential translating job. I have some previous experience translating, but have only charged a flat rate before. Would anybody be able to advise me how to work out a quote for this company. I have done some research online, which says I should be charging about 11 cents per word for standard content and 15 cents per word for t
... See more
Hi all,

I am a current student studying an MA in Translation Studies. I have just been asked to provide my 'best quote based on USD per English words' for a potential translating job. I have some previous experience translating, but have only charged a flat rate before. Would anybody be able to advise me how to work out a quote for this company. I have done some research online, which says I should be charging about 11 cents per word for standard content and 15 cents per word for technical content. Does this sound right to you? My language combination is Mandarin into English.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Hamish Young  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:00
Member (2010)
Chinese to English
More or less Jan 22

Hi Ethan,

You're in the right ballpark there. Rates in our language pair depend on a lot of factors, but the rates you cite are fairly typical for respectable agencies in Western countries.

Generally speaking, we charge either by translated English word or source Chinese character. In many jobs it can be difficult to accurately count the source Chinese characters, so English word is preferred. If you charge by translated English word you should be looking to charge appr
... See more
Hi Ethan,

You're in the right ballpark there. Rates in our language pair depend on a lot of factors, but the rates you cite are fairly typical for respectable agencies in Western countries.

Generally speaking, we charge either by translated English word or source Chinese character. In many jobs it can be difficult to accurately count the source Chinese characters, so English word is preferred. If you charge by translated English word you should be looking to charge approximately 50% higher than you would by source Chinese character, so a charge of USD 0.15 per target English word equates roughly to USD 0.10 per source character.

However, depending on the subject matter the actual ratio of target word to source character can vary dramatically, so it's not an exact science.

Hope that helps,

Hamish
Collapse

Gareth Callagy
Jean Chao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting Confusion - Mandarin Translator

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search