What is the going rate/fee for literary translation?
Thread poster: clangfor1
clangfor1
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2005

Hello all. Would someone please give me an idea of the going per-word rate for tranlation of a literary manuscript? It's been a while since I've done this kind of work. (It's an English to French translation that I'll be collaborating on with a native speaker I've worked with several times before.)
This is an old client I've worked with before and with whom I'd really like to work again, so I'd like to cut her a good deal. It'd be nice have something to go on, though.
Although I've participated on this site before, I've never posted anything on the forum. Hope this is not an inappropriate question to ask, and if it is, feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-09 21:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rachel Ward  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:23
German to English
+ ...
UK Translators' Association advice Jun 10, 2005

clangfor1 wrote:

Hello all. Would someone please give me an idea of the going per-word rate for tranlation of a literary manuscript? [Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-09 21:14]

The Translators' Association recommended rate in the UK is £70/1000 words, but on the whole you're unlikely to get it!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the going rate/fee for literary translation?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search