How to calculate IBAN for a Spanish bank account
Thread poster: Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2005

If anyone needs to know the IBAN number for a Spanish bank account, knowing the bank account details, an Excel spreadsheet can be downloaded from this site:

http://www.asset.es/miembros/CALCULO_IBAN.xls

All the best,
Sarah.

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 14:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
UK bank Jun 12, 2005

Just wondering if there is a similar thing for a British bank account?

Best,
Claudio

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Careful about unofficial IBAN calculators Jun 12, 2005

Hi all,
I would suggest to exercise caution when using such unofficial IBAN calculators. This is because of the consequences of erroneous details - when using online banking, customers are often ultimately responsible for correct details.

Best regards,
Ralf

Sarah Brenchley
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with Ralf but ... Jun 12, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

I would suggest to exercise caution when using such unofficial IBAN calculators. This is because of the consequences of erroneous details - when using online banking, customers are often ultimately responsible for correct details.

I agree with Ralf but the link came from an offical Spanish financial page, and ultimately the only thing which it calculates are the first two digits after the two letters for the country. The remaining digits are exactly the same as the 20 digits relating to the account you want to know the full IBAN number for.
You can therefore check the number against the details you have to see that it is correct.
I have checked it against my own account and it is correct.

Sarah Brenchley
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A download page for other countries Jun 12, 2005

An IBAN calculator can be downloaded from this page:
http://www.almisoft.de/ibandown.htm
As Ralf says, it's a good idea to exercise caution but it's a useful tool if you need to know the first part.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The 'first part' is the crucial bit Jun 12, 2005

Hi Sarah,

An IBAN calculator can be downloaded from this page:
http://www.almisoft.de/ibandown.htm
As Ralf says, it's a good idea to exercise caution but it's a useful tool if you need to know the first part.

I'm using the Almisoft tool myself, but only to verify IBANs received. What you refer to as the 'first part' is a two-character check sum that controls the uniqueness of each IBAN. This is the only part that isn't obvious from the standard structure of IBANs for each country - hence, this is the crucial bit...

Best, Ralf

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:05
English to Spanish
Your bank has to provide you with your IBAN number Jun 13, 2005

Hi All,

Why bother with a calculator that might give you erroneous information?

Just call your bank and they have to let you know what your IBAN is. At least, this is how it works in the UK.

Cheers,
Myriam

Mircelal Seyidov
Mircelal Seyidov  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 21:05
English to Turkish
+ ...
any IBAN calc Jun 28, 2005

Ppl is there any similar thing for turkish banks? To my question on the matter one of the banks answered that turk banks don't use IBAN. It sounded weird so can anyone dispel my doubts?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:05
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
AFAIK, IBAN is used only in EU Jun 28, 2005

and only this year was introduced in Latvia. As far as I know, there are no IBAN codes for US, Canada, Turkey, any other countries outside the EU.

Uldis

mentor wrote:

Ppl is there any similar thing for turkish banks? To my question on the matter one of the banks answered that turk banks don't use IBAN. It sounded weird so can anyone dispel my doubts?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Right - well, almost... Jun 28, 2005

Uldis is right - in practice, IBANs are only used within the EU. Although nothing would stop banks outside the EU from applying the concept, in practice it's only used within.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate IBAN for a Spanish bank account

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »