Thread poster: Conor Jarrett

Conor Jarrett
Ireland
Local time: 00:33
Member (Mar 2019)
French to English
+ ...
May 15

I've been in touch with an agency about the possibility of working as an interpreter. They've offered me €20 per hour. As I'm still quite new to this sector, I wanted to ask, does this seem reasonable? I do French/Italian to English and I'm living near Dublin. Maybe it's just me, but the aforementioned rate seems lower than I had expected. What do others think about this? What is your idea of a decent rate?

mariealpilles

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Rates May 15

I dont know the rates in Dublin, but I can not imagine, that they are si low. The interpreting rates in Germany through agencies are 650 to 700 EUR/day. No hourly rates. If you work for courts then 75 EUR/hour.

Hedwig Spitzer Cáceres
Liviu-Lee Roth
Elena Simonelli
Davide Leone

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
Pools May 15

Jobs & Directories on the top menu bar > Screened Professionals > Interpreters

Liviu-Lee Roth

Davide Leone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reject the offer May 16

An offer of 20 Euros an hour for interpreting is ridiculous for any language pair, in whatever country you live in.
Negotiate starting from 50 Euros an hour minimum, provided that you are a good professional interpreter.
I hate agencies that bring down so much our industry.

Maja_K

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting Rates

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search