Omri Ofek Luzon
Omri Ofek Luzon  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:26
Member (2019)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
hmmmm maybe? Jul 27, 2019

i don't know... It is the same problem everywhere, in every profession.

Personally, I'd refuse unless I am provided with a contract. But honestly, I can see why someone with low income would jump on such opportunity, or someone with an adventurous soul, or just bored, or with a free slot in his schedule. Just for the "give it a try" if it sounds somehow "legit" (it is not always rational, you just have a gut feel).

When I did it in the past, sometimes it actually turn
... See more
i don't know... It is the same problem everywhere, in every profession.

Personally, I'd refuse unless I am provided with a contract. But honestly, I can see why someone with low income would jump on such opportunity, or someone with an adventurous soul, or just bored, or with a free slot in his schedule. Just for the "give it a try" if it sounds somehow "legit" (it is not always rational, you just have a gut feel).

When I did it in the past, sometimes it actually turned out surprisingly good. Others meh, and mostly not so. It is a big market, and it is OK to try and persuade people to work for less, and it is ok to tell them NO!
Collapse

Frank van Overveld
Frank van Overveld
Netherlands
Local time: 10:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't waste your time Jul 31, 2019

I wouldn't waste my time for the following reasons:

- You are not paid for words, but for your competence, training, ability, style, professionalism, and other qualities which have to be taken into account as well

- The time you won't work, you can use to improve your CV, contact new clients and agencies, improving your social media, etc.

- When somebody offers you a better paying job, you don't have to refuse it because you have to work for this low payin
... See more
I wouldn't waste my time for the following reasons:

- You are not paid for words, but for your competence, training, ability, style, professionalism, and other qualities which have to be taken into account as well

- The time you won't work, you can use to improve your CV, contact new clients and agencies, improving your social media, etc.

- When somebody offers you a better paying job, you don't have to refuse it because you have to work for this low paying job.

- You will probably get frustrated and discouraged as you see the time goes by and you calculate what you're making per hour.

- Subsequently you won't be very motivated to take your time to deliver high quality work, since in any case you won't be paid a lot and you don't really care if this agency won't contact you again for something similar.

So you are really wasting your time and energy in working for such rates. You can invest your time differenlty to get better work in the future.
Collapse

Tibor Pataki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relation between volume of work and rate

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »